In this bad economy, what are you doing to save money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Jul 23, 2008.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: being that are economy is slumping more and more by each day, i was wondering what you guys are doing to save money.

I have have reduced my work force by two, reduced cell phone min, took advantage of every pre paid discount i could find.

tony

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I cancled my lawn guy..........

3. offroad diesel, its cheaper. :waving:

4. MyKisa

MyKisa LawnSite Member

bought oil mix in bulk (enough for 200 gallons)for a big savings

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Fired my crew and went back to solo. Actually it wasnt for financial reasons, but I get 3-4K a month more to myself for only 80-100 extra hours and a skid steer payment. I reduced my insurance from construction and maintenance to maintenance and construction "as needed" since Im not using the payroll I used to have. This saved me over 2K. Otherwise my wife and I havent been taking shore trips and long drives. Instead we take out the kayaks or work on the house. We eat home more. Otherwise we havent seen much change.

6. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

not to mention illegal in most places. round here they stop you at checkpoints and dip your tank.

7. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Thank god where I live the economy is still in full swing thanks to being so close to the refineries we also have the cheapest gas in the country.

8. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

To save on water and electricity, I wear the same clothes all week. Of course, I'm sleeping in my truck at night too!!! NOT

I use my small car when doing anything that does not require the use of my truck. (estimates, bids, banking, etc.) And I try to stay out of the gas pedal too.

Exmark Lazer Z AS 52" Ultra-cut
    Husqvarna 4824 ZTR
    Gravely Pro-cut 21"
    Stihl 4-Mix Kombi
    Stilh 2-cycle Kombi
    Stihl BG-85 Hand-held
    Redmax 2300 trimmer
    Redmax Hedge Trimmer
    Shindawia Back-pack
    McClain Edger
    Agri-Fab Aerator
    7' X 12' Pro-Pull Trailer
    1995 Silverado

9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Save money - I buy more equipment to keep others in business!

10. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

drink cheaper beer and quit eating out. Only drive the diesel when I'm actually working and shop around for the best price on gas.