in$urance prices?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Feb 28, 2008.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

just wondering what folks in other areas are paying for insurance. I just got my qoute for liability and workmans comp it is $2200 min with no employees for the year with the possibility of an increase after an audit at the end of the year.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on your coverage amounts. You are an employee, in a sense, even if you don't write yourself a paycheck.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Get a CPA.........:hammerhead:

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Workmans comp for yourself?

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You can do that up north, somehow..pay into it like you're a worker,
    which everbody knows the only injury we would sustain would be
    slamming the pick-up door on our foot!

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Or playing the stereo too loud whilst watching irrigation being installed by said workers.

Wait, that worker is about to be me!

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

While a solo operation might try to do without Workman's Comp (like, what's the likelihood of suing yourself over an injury) the omission can turn up on year-end reviews on projects you submitted proof-of-coverage information to.

8. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

I just got jacked up bad. Turns out my original agent 3 years ago submitted my policy as doing lawn care, not irrigation, and I paid only about $430 a year for liability (Ohio screws us on workman's comp on their own). When they discovered their mistake they wanted to take my premium to $2000/year. I shopped around and got it back under a grand including coverage for my vib plows.

Worksman's comp will run me 6% or so on my employee wages, but not my "wages".

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

greenmonster - I pay $135/yr for GL ($500K) and do not have equip coverage. Solo op with no employees. Will also look into a mil coverage for not much more (under $200).

10. ontheedge02

ontheedge02 LawnSite Member

DA Quality Lawn & YS,
    Who do you use? I'm in MN too and was just quoted $580 for 500/1M liab and another $200 for my equipment.

Thanks,