In what part of the Country would be a good spot to start a Business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJK, Jul 11, 2006.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Thinking about leaving SE Michigan and relocating to a better area for Lawn and Landscape. I want to focus on Landscaping though. What do you guys think?

2. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

In 2000 I moved and started a Landscaping company in Olive Branch, MS. It did well because of two things.

1) The county that I was in was one of the fastest growing counties in the south (Memphis blight flight).

2) I came across a source for really good dependable labor.

I bought a ton dump truck and visited several nurseries and asked if they needed anyone to do deliveries (mainly mulch). They were too busy to do any themselves, so they began to refer me. These mulch deliveries led into more work. More than I could handle. When we moved a few years later I sold the truck and the business contacts to a friend and he also did extremely well.

My suggestions:

Move to a fast growing area.
    Find dependable labor.
    Get a dump truck.

3. i use great dane

i use great dane LawnSite Member

warmest and most populated.. you want to be able to do work as many months out of the year as you can and you will need to be in areas in demand for your services.. why not move out of that state to a nicer place if you have a good excuse? you need to get as far away from ann arbor as possible anyways

4. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

Have many friends in the Olive Branch, Southaven area Rodney, Still growing like a weed in that area. Wish I was over there instead of on the other side of the state where it is dead.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

Blackshear, Georgia, i hear is a good place.

6. TripleD'sInc

TripleD'sInc LawnSite Member

Well, southwest Florida is doing very well, Our population is growing by the thousands per month (not sure where they are coming from), but I don't think anyone mows there own lawns down here. Its also warm most of the year and I only do yearly contract so when winter arrives I may only mow twice a month but still get payed the normal set rate. Ya it does get hot and humid her in the summer but the cash is good. I probably turn down at least 5 new accounts per week and that only tells me that there is a demand for LCO's.
    Good Luck!!!!!:walking:

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Any large metro area should do well. If that fails head to Blackshear as Brian noted :laugh:

I think I'm stuck in the middle here in the DC area....go south and it's almost year-round, go north and the season's shorter but more snow removal to do. Snow here is spotty and iffy at best.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    You are so mean.

I have the perfect answer for you.
    North Charlotte, Lake Norman area.
    over 9000 new homes being built as we speak
    new industry moving in like crazy. Banking center of the U.S.
    Year round work. Good money, Homes in all price ranges 100K to 2Mill+ and lots of them in all ranges. Most all the guys around here can not get to all the work that needs to be done. From maintenance to landscape and any combo of both there is more work than workers.
    I just sold all my equipment as I am also in Real Estate and this is an even better area for RE than LCO, but I could keep you busy with just the calls I am still getting. The guy I sold to did not want an industrial park that I had ( to big for him at the time) so they put the work out to bid. This was just mowing, not full service, over 40K for the year. Their home office requires 3 bids. They spent 3 months trying to get the bids, Most guys were just to busy to bother. They called 26 LCO just to get the 3 bids.
    As far as living here, It is great, maybe why so many moving here. lots to do, good money to be had in many fields, great climate, and the lake is great.
    Let me know the kind of house you want and I'll have you set in a month--and in business a week after!
    Start packing:)

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Pinellas county ( central southwest florida) is wayy over crowded when it comes to LCO's and maintenance but if you were dedicated to landscaping then you might do well. Every trailer I see says "Lawn and Landscaping" but I hardly ever see these guys design and install a real good looking landscape. Good luck.

10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

It just goes to show that if you are in a bad area and like the industry you may be better off relocating, have heard of guys getting 50 calls or more a day in some areas, some places are really going ahead and is a shortage of people like us, Lake Norman sounds good:)

*aussieflag*