in your signature

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by supercuts, Nov 6, 2007.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

ive posted this a while ago, thought i'd re-post it.

my real complaint with this site is that you get suggestions from everyone. the kid next door using his 21", the kid down the road hauling his wb out of the back of a gator, and jim lewis who seems like the most level headed guy on here.

this wouldnt be so much of a problem if everyone listed a small amount of personal information such as age, years of service, and amount of customers. that way when i see advice i have a better understanding of who its from so may make better conclusions about there experience and comments.

i know it cant all be summed up by those 3 simple things, some guys may hvae been formans for very large companies and now do 10-20 lawns while semi-retired, or someone may have worked for someone else for a long time and is just getting started on his own. not looking to upset people but when guys on here are asking about brands and you have someone swearing they have the best one out there, it would be nice to know its a 15year old without a licence, 5 lawns and been doing this for the last 5 months.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just a thought. Another forum I frequent and not related to lawn care in any way suggests you post your name in the signature so that you can address a reply to a person rather than a long screen name.
  3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I will have to agree with you on this. You kind of know by the comments from some like Envy, TLS, Jim Lewis, etc. That they have been doing this awhile and give honest answers from experience. Not just blowing smoke.
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i guess i should have proof read my post, apparently im not smarter than a 5th grader.
  5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a great suggestion. Hopefully it's a trend that "catches on".
  6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

not a bad idea. would definately seperate the men from the boys! ha!
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

rather than having it in a sig about when you sign up for LS you are honest about who/what your are...that way when someone looks up your name under your profile its visible.

Personalty I hate the "chest thumping" Sig lines....4 trucks, 3 trailer, 10 mowers..yada yada yada.....the sig line is longer than the post...Christ I have 180 pieces of gas powered equipment under my command. BFD I guess we'll start listing our employee names next....;)
  8. rsp1961

rsp1961 LawnSite Member

Playing the devil's advocate here, but since this is a male oriented profession(with some exceptions and this is not at all a cheauvinist statement so please stick to the subject), guys love to strut their stuff, stick out their chests, adjust their crotch, etc. and may appear to have bigger "tools" or more "experience" than others, when all it turns out to be is just a bunch of hot air...just ask some of their one lacks the discernment and knowledge to know what appears to be good advice and what is just talk, then this wont be the only place in life that you will be mislead. I list what i have as far as tools because I like to see what everyone is using and let others know what i am using...I probably have average equipment for the profession, and average knowledge, and am definitely looking to learn all i can. But if you went by my age, tools and years experience, you might think I would know more than I do.:nono:

All that to say, take everything with a grain of salt. weigh it with what you already have heard or know, compare it to what others say, and make a choice. Some proverb says, "wise counsel comes with many counselors"..there are certainly enough "counselors" on this site or others like it to keep you on the right path. ;)

Good Luck
  9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

very true. but remember what works for me here in TX might NOT work for you in CT.

Like you I take advice from only certain people. mainly the ones living close to me....

they know what works and dont when it's 115 outside where as someone from New York has never seen 115 temp.....
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

but then you get someone like myself who was raised on landscaping in florida, but yet here I am in DC..:)

and besides many new yorkers have seen 115 degrees...its the temp of their double latte cappuccino from starbucks...:)