Incentive Pay

Discussion in 'Employment' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jan 18, 2010.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I own a local fertilizer company in GA and I am looking to hire my first full-time employee this year. Due to the economy I feel I have a few quality guys to pick from for a great "deal." Don't get me wrong, they will make what they deserve. I am going for quality and am willing to pay for it.

What I was wanting to know was how some of your incentive programs work. I am wanting to pay the guy a base salary and then have incentives which will allow him to make more with the quality work he provides.

Remember, this is for a lawn care position, fert and weed control.

A percentage for each new customer,
    A percentage for each months income,
    A percentage for etc etc...

I figure if he is bringing in work then I will make money even if he gets a percentage of each customer and he makes more money as well...
  2. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

You would think with the way the economy is, there would be good people out there jumping at the chance for a job.. But, from experience in my area they seem a lot lazier:hammerhead: It embarrasses me to see some of the guys that come into our office "in desperate need" for a job. Sometimes I really want to ask them if they were in such desperate need, why couldn't they stop off on the way in and get a hair trim? I wonder if the sign outside says "Now hiring: People who resemble Grizzly Adams".:dizzy:

Many times I repeat, "yes, although you have a resume, we still require you to fill out an application". Many come in and must think it appropriate that I see what color their boxers short are.. I mean.. really?!?

Michigan has extended the Unemployment benefits for so long, I have heard of people collecting UE for a few years :rolleyes:Why get a job, the stat will also pay for you to go to school. Unbelievable..

I wish you luck. Your pay sounds fine. Hopefully you will find a trustworthy employee, that will help you grow your company for not only your benefit, but also his.. or hers:laugh: