1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

inches and fences

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capetan, Sep 18, 2007.

1. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

i am looking at getting 32" exmark or a 36" from experience what do you guys prefer, and can a 36" fit through gates and fences, i like the 36" because of the velke option and ecs grip option and the fact its a little wider ? what do you guys prefer ? thanks ......
    one more question when do you guys think the best time to advertise for lawn mowing services is ? what month ? thanks......
    and no more questions for now
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

A 36" aint going through a 3 foot gate. I would go 32" for gated areas. Or even like a 26" or 32" and a 48" if you can get two.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in virginia and I start advertising the 2nd Tuesday before the 1st of April, if that makes any sense.

This year that would've been March 20th...
  4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Personally, I would never buy a commercial mower less than 44 to cut lawns for hire with. Might as well get a 21.
  5. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry man but that is definitely your opinion.
    I have a 36" Bunton walk behind and it can be a major lifesaver. Dont try to compare a 36 to a 21. The bunton is my "small gate" mower. If the 36 wont fit, chances are the backyard is not that big so the Honda self-propelled will do fine. If the 36 wont fit through the gate and the backyard is too big, think twice about taking on the account or charge accordingly.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Most 36" gates are never exactly 36". Ive seen them as wide as 38" in which case your 36" should be able to "squeeze through" provided the gate open all the way, ect, ect, ect,...

If you can't fit your 36, then I'd pass. it was so nice not having to carry around the 21" mower anymore. And it was even better when my customers who had gates agreed to let me put in a 60" gate so I could get my 52" lazer in the back yard. It was so nice it kept me from increasing their prices one year.
  7. ironman1994

ironman1994 LawnSite Member

For me I had to go with a 32"........majority of my properties had gates too small for a 36"
  8. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

Go with a 26 inch exmark or the 32 inch walk behind. I don't own one, but it's the next mower I am going to get. Trying to decide! P.S. advertise in the fall and in the early spring: like in October/March and get contracts signed for the following year in November!
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The Metro 26" is the last mower I would suggest unless you are just picking up leaves, if you actually need to cut grass and the Metro is all you can fit through gate, use a trimmer or a scissors.:clapping::laugh::clapping:

Actually the if you have cut the grass yesterday the Metro should work fine today.
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

That's the way it is where I am in fact some yards I can barely get the 21" through. I should have bought a 48" for the large front yards since I have to use a 21" for most of the back yards anyway.