Income Level In Areas

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Mar 20, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Some one made a post about how thier customers will not pay for salting. Ya know i really do think that the part of the state or state you service really does set the standard.<p>I think if you live in a wealth part of the state or wealthy state. Your demand for salting will increase as well as the demand for zero accumulation. I am not saying that it is wrong to provide this high level or service, i think if the market is there everyone would. Anyways thats what makes this world interesting, some people don't mind 4&quot; of snow on their driveay, others want to see black tar 24 / 7/ 365. <p>I think you can only provide the highest level or service that people can afford. <p>I don't want everyone jumping on me, and say i am crying my eyes out. I am just stating the observations i have notice in my own state, and on this forum. <p>Anyone one else agree, or am i just wasting server space?<p>Geoff

2. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We operate out of probably one of the top three most affluent areas in Canada and while businesses and homeowners do not accept 4&quot; accumulation going unplowed, there isn't a zero tolerance policy in effect for the majority of properties either. 2&quot; or 5cm is when the plows get moving here generally. Our city loves salt though. City trucks dump it as the first flake drops and keep it up throughout most storms. We salt at our discretion and have only ever had one customer question us as to the necessity, and that was only on one occasion. <p>So for trigger amounts as far as accumulation goes, I wouldn't necessarily say socioeconomics dictates the protocol. As far as pricing goes, I think competition among contractors drives the market here, moreso than the level of income of prospective customers.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

You Mainers are all the same, cry cry cry. If you dont like it get out or move.Just kidding Geoff, I think you bring up a good point. I also think to some extent that how local and state dot's treat the road conditions has a trickle down effect on what customers expect.When they see that 1 hr after snow stops the raods are in good shape they expect the same for their driveway and parking areas. But as for weather or not income levels dictate, I think in the future ins companies and lawyers will dictate policies. When people are sue happy, the long effects are will be geared more toward service than price I hope.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. yortengel

yortengel LawnSite Member

I let the customer decide at what level they would like there service to be, I don't salt. I have a hard time dealing with what a salt spreader would do to my truck ( I hate Rust) as it is, I have already replaced both doors, one bed side and one fender, both sets of gas tank straps. Cab mounts, A brake line. All due to rust. Let me get back to the issue at hand. In detroit, salt is a good business. I am getting really close to buying a speader, Almost had one last year.<br>anyway, I have some customers that don't mind an inch or two. and some that want to see pavment. I try to give them what ever they want. and I let them pay for it. This has been a poor season. not the worst, but plowing has been down for a few years now.