1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bushwacker 268, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Bushwacker 268

Bushwacker 268 LawnSite Member

Can anyone help out w/income tax issues? What kind of things are deductible and for how long etc? Does anYone charge their customers sales tax?

2. Southpaw

Southpaw LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Welcome to the forum. The lists of deductions is a mile long. You can get a good list of deductible items from the IRS website. If you plan on doing your own taxes, lots of people I know have used TurboTax. It is an Intuit product and goes hand in hand with Quickbooks users.

You can save mucho dinero by keeping good books. Keep your receipts and a mileage log too. I am very lucky to be married to a CPA, but I always did my own taxes in the past. However, this being my first year in this business, I will be tapping her knowledge. I've even promised to make the bed everyday if she will do my taxes forever. LOL
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I a good accountant is worth his/hers weight in gold. Have them train you to do the work and they won't cost you too much...

Welcome to Lawnsite.com.....
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the SEARCH icon at the top of this site and do a search for 'deduction' or 'tax'. You will find plenty of threads.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get yourself a good CPA. Let me repeat...GET YOURSELF A GOOD CPA.
    Taxes and legal issues are to important to take peoples advice on a forum. Both are worth more than gold when you need them.
  6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

amen amen amen....dont even think about doing this yourself given the little knowledge you have now.(I am not being critical of you by the way) My accountant did things last year that I had no idea could be done...saved me a few thousand dollars. His fee was a mere $400. Plus he sends me quarterly reminders on what is due and to whom. Even gives me the canned letters to remit with my quarterly tax payments.

Its a good idea to interview a few and then choose the one who seems the most capable...and.....hungry for your business.

I dont remember what state you are in, but in PA, nearly every service we perform is subject to sales tax. (except for snow removal, new lawn install, and tree pruning resultant from storm damage...a few others but these are the major ones)

Not only will an accountant maxzimize your deductions, but throughut the year he is there to answer your questions relative to capital purchases, debt financing etc.
  7. fisher of men

fisher of men LawnSite Member

Hello from New Braunfels, TX
    I have not decided yet It I will do think part time this year or not. there is so much legal stuff and taxes. Sales tax is required to be collected on lawn care services I called the Texas comptrollers office.

have a great weekend