Incorrect dipstick reading on Scag?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnsaspire, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

If you thread it in you will get a higher reading because you are submerging the dipstick in further than it should be, so you may think you have enough oil when in fact you are low.

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Now that makes perfect sense!
    In my defence, it was early morning here though! And Im slightly hung over!:hammerhead:

3. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

If you have had the mower for a while and have not pulled the fan cover off and blowen out the fins they are probabally pakced with grass and dirt which coses the engine to overheat and turn the oil black. it also causes the plastic dipstick to turn a dark brown.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Need some of the OLD GUYS (RestroRob...Dutch...Pugs..BigFish..and the likes) to shed a little light on the proper oil level checking procedure for Kohler Command verticle engines...
    I know that they had a few different dipsticks on the Courage engines...
    Aint gonna lie to you..I have been checking the oil level just the way I described above for way more than a few years...with no issues...
    Any insight...???

5. piston slapper

Hmmmmm...
    Left this fish in the water overnight...still no takers....
    If its still here tomorrow...maybe I'll wrap it in foil ..and throw it in the smoker...:walking:

The key to being successful in anything is to be consistant...
    Consistant mistakes are easier to reconcile than stupid ones...

6. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

The label affixed to my kohler Command CV730 says:

Check engine oil daily by setting dipstick onto tube.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I could see there being a problem is you screwed the cap in and the oil was barely on the dipstick and you called it good enough. I try to keep all of my engines filled close to the top of the range shown on the dipstick, even though supposedly anywhere within that range is fine.

8. piston slapper

Most still take right at 2 qts on an oil and filter change..

9. piston slapper

I'm gonna have to go on record and say...I'M RIGHT...Kohler and the book are WRONG...

Having learned this procedure from 2 certified Kohler master techs...and being certified myself...
    All 3 of us can"t be wrong...I'm sure that I have serviced over 5000 Kohler engines over the years , and have never had an issue resulting from screwing in the dipstick to check the oil...Also...I dont seem to remember too many Kohler engines that I serviced , having an issue with smoking when they start up....Coincedence...I think not....
    Just cause yoy read it...Dont make it right....:waving:

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Hey! Don't include me in with them old farts!! ( Just 'cause I can remember where I was and what I was doin' on Nov. 22, 1963 )

I don't screw in the dipstick on Kohler, or Kawasucki, never have, never will. Everything Ive ever been taught, or read, said so.

Briggs ya screw in when checking.

It aint rocket science!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012