1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Increase Ground speed on Turf Tracer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnSharks, Jul 2, 2008.

1. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    Is there a way to increase the maximum ground speed on an eXmark Turf Tracer? The only reason I ask is that I saw another LCO operating a TT at what seemed twice as fast as ours will run at the highest speed. I've checked the Operator's Manual and see no adjustment. Any ideas?
  2. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

Hey lawnsharks

dont try to do this, or you WILL overturn the valves, and what WILL happen is you will
    crush the o-rings inside the pump. and believe me when i say this because it happened to me.

3. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Could I suggest you first check the engine rpm? Could be it's not producing it's maximum working speed.
    Also check that any drive belts to the pump are adjusted to the correct tension.
    Come back on this one, Phil :)

4. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

AGREED with phil g, for this would be safer, otherwise maybe a bigger pump (larger cc)
    and bigger wheel motors, also (larger cc), besides being about $1200 to $1600 would be about right, this price varies depending on the manufacterer of pump/motor combo.
    also realize that these prices do not include shipping and local sales tax, or labor either.

good luck.

5. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

Lawnsharks, if you CAN see what he has for an engine, could be his is larger than yours.
    and maybe even newer.

6. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Same unit, same model, same engine size but I swear he is running at 10+ MPH with a 200+ lb. guy on the velky. I talked with my eXmark rep and he said there is nothing you can do to increase the speed that wouldn't completely void the warranty. He didn't offer any suggestions.
    Thanks for all the input.
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The next time you see this LCO maybe you could ask him what he did. I thought of trying to speed up my tt also. My dealer said that different size pulleys could be used.
  8. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Dont' the turf tracers already go like 6.5 mph top speed? Isn't that fast enough? How can u get a good cut any faster? I guess the Choppers are supposed to and others, but I've never tried it. Guess if u have more hp it's possible.
  9. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody wants more production for less money,my question is the customer happy? Don't drive yourself into the ground trying to compete with everybody else. They have a different set of circumstances than perhaps you can gauge by just looking at a mower blowing by your guys, do what you can do in a day, remember, it will still be there in the morning, how 'bout U ? Don't Powerstroke over what you c/sh/woulda donna, do what you and your crew can do today, that's all we have!! so make the best of it, even if it's 100 damn degrees @ 10 o'clock @ night. The water is dripping off me as I type this,so what, it's the first clouds and moisture to come are way,(hurricane Dolly), we weren't suppose to get any of this, but the outer bands of the storm gave us the first taste of rain in awhile,plus it held the temprature down and we saw clouds, amazing!!! Don't get me wrong,, I love Blue Sky (Allman Brothers) as much as anybody but Lordy, a little rain sure feels good
  10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure the control levers to the pump are givin ya full throw. Make sure the moter is spinnin at the right rpm. You could try bigger OD tires. Or mayhaps a bigger OD engine pulley/ smaller pump pulleys ( one or the other, NOT both ). Course the easy way out is to cheat on the wing and front splitter adj. like dem nascar boys....