increase RPM on 5.5 hp Honda GXV160 engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by z_clark, Sep 27, 2006.

1. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I need to increase the RPM on a 5.5 hp Honda GXV160 engine. It is on top of a Toro Proline.

Probably very simple...once you know how! :)

What could cause the running RPMs to drop over time? Am I seeing another problem?

THANKS!!!!:waving:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

On your throttle control plate you will see two screws with springs on them, The upper one is the choke stop adjustment the lower one is the high speed adjustment. Just back this lower screw out a little to increase high speed.

But before adjusting make sure your throttle cable didn't slip in the hold down clamp, And if this screw is backed out too far you may have to adjust the cable in the clamp to get enough movement so it will increase.

3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

THANKS RESTORB!!!!

There is nothing I can't fix ith the right tools / the right parts / and HELP FROM THIS BOARD!!!

Thanks!

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Does increasing the rpms really help on the honda?? I have a 22167 that I haven't even used yet. But might want to increase the rpms later.

5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Drop in rpm can be caused by dirty carburetor or air filter.
    Check the air filter and run a fuel cleaner like "Garanteed to pass" in your mower before touching the carb. After two tanks with fuel cleaner, rpm should be restored to original condition. If not, check cable adjustments and tightness of carb on the engine. Then, adjust carb if needed...

6. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

make sure you are checking/setting RPMs with the correct Tach. just going by sound can be wrong.