Increasing Maple trees growth

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jonspolaris, Jul 29, 2007.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

I have a Crimmson King maple that is about 10 years old. It seems to be very healthy but is growing VERY slowly. Is there anything I can give the plant to make it grow faster? I have tried SuperThrive but have not seen results, but I dont know if I gave it enough for a long enough time.
    I also have tried fertalizer spikes.

Any suggestions? Im in SE Michigan with sandy irrigated soil.

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Its the nature of the beast, all Japanese maples grow slow, do you have any pic's of it?

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Crimson King is a Norway Maple. It should grow relatively fast. I would not juice it with too much fertilizer. Just see that it is getting enough water, sun, and nutrients. It should be growing at a pretty good rate.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure it is not root bound. Was it b&b? or peat pot? gallon plastic? I know a lot of trees b&b and peat pot that are root bound which keeps the tree from growing. also a trick is to dig it up and mix a good amount of organic material and add organic fert. do this after the tree goes dormant for the season. If you have really clay soil the roots will bound up in the hole also as stated above if it were in a pot.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

In addition, organise the soil for flood irrigation. Maples respond to water more than anything else. Flood weekly on normal soils, or perpetual flooding on the sand.
    The red leaf do seem slower than normal maples, until they get established. It is like forever for them to get started.

6. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

thanks. The tree looks very healthy. it is only about 15ft tall, and was maybe 7-8ft when it was planted 10 years ago. It has definatlly grown, just not nearly like other trees.
    Neighbor has a sugar maple and it has gown much more in the same time period. he also has a silver maple and thoes are over the peek of the house(20ft).

7. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

you can not compare those trees growth rate.

8. stahlfaust

stahlfaust LawnSite Member

silver maples grow super fast, thats why they are such a week tree(they get tall fast). Just keep the tree watered and let nature takes its course.