Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, May 16, 2004.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I was mowing one of my churchs the other day when a lady approached me and asked me if i was doing it for charity for the church, i kinda smiled and politley told her no, laughed a little and went back to work.

That afternoon i got a call from the head of the board for the church asking me to reconsider my contract and do the work for a tax-write off for a contribution!

LOL, first off i told her i dont belong to the church so i probably wouldnt get away with a contribution, i then went on to explain to her that i had bill also and i dont work for free.

She then asked me to void the contract, i politiely said yes but i was only 5 weeks into a 32 week mowing contract and i would need to be paid for the entire year within 2 weeks. She said no and then i said no.

Back to square 1. lol

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

WHAT??

Either i am way to tired, or your post makes no sense.....

IMO

Trevor

3. packerbacker

Whats so hard to understand?

Ill lay it out in steps for you

1) Mowing church
    2) Asked if i was doing it for free
    3) Said no
    4) Called later by church board member and was asked if i would void contract and do it for free, probably got idea from other lady
    5) Said no again

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Are you going to get paid for your work so far? And are you done mowing for them or what?

I've seen some churches get done by members, some who pay. I had a call for an estimate by one church that wanted me to do it either for cheap or free. Didn't even look at the lawn.

5. packerbacker

Its under contract, i dont foresee any problems getting paid though, i just thought it was funny how they a company there with my name on it, at a smaller church , a name they have never seen before and they think im working for free

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ahhh...churches, always try to get something done for free. My church that I do now I do for free, sure only takes me 30 mins, but it was the way that they got it for free.

They first wanted me to mow it and charge them, so I did that, but then a board member got the idea that he could do it free of charge and save money. So since I am a member of church and not wanting to look like the bad guy, I said that I would do it for free.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure why a church would think they could get away with that. It's an organization like any other with expenses. I'm sure their landlord, or the electric company, or the telephone company doesn't give them service for free in exchange for a write off, that's only going to get you back maybe 15% of the value anyway.

:rolleyes:

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

So I'm assuming in your contract there is no way to back out after signing? lol Like, must give 2 weeks notice, etc.?

On the other side, if your contracts don't have a clause for EITHER party to back out, you may get into some things you wish you could get out of.

Good luck getting paid for 27 service visits you aren't going to do.

8)

9. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

I'd mow the pub for free before I'd do the church, at least they're giving me something tangible to believe in :D

10. Wow, nobody stand to close to snippy. :eek:
    I feel for you.:angel: