1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Indecissive Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scottscape, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

well I gave a guy an estimate about 2 months ago for seasonal mowing maintenance and overseeding and fertilizing and mulching his beds. He calls me yesterday saying that he wants to go ahead with it and I told him I would be there today for him to sign the service agreement for the season and fill paperwork he says ok. I show up and we talk for a few minutes he then tells me that he has to still think about it and just wanted to know exactly what I was going to do. I then say "Thanks you, let me know if you decide just mail me the service agreement" and got back in the truck.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

screw him........i have a similar scene. i gave a guy a quote in january. i was running an early bird special if signed by feb 15th. i heard back from him.....march 25th, he sent a deposit and a note, "i'd like you to go ahead with it." i sent the check back
  3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

That's funny - some people think you should just be fortunate for their business at any price. That would be like the grocery store running a special on ribeye steaks one week and going in the next and expecting the same price. What goes through peoples minds?
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

They think they can take advantage of it and we need to hold firm on our prices, especailly, in my personal opinion in my location, when it comes to giving estimates for indian families, they always try to talk you down to NOTHING!, charge what YOU think is fair and hold steady to it. Im just talking in general regarding the above posters post!
  5. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

this is how i have been thinking lately, if they call you for mowing/mulch ect. they must have the money to pay for it, i myself would never bother to call some one if i didnt have the money to pay for the service. so when i show up and see a bmw in the drive and they live a mil. home. i dont care to hear them say that they are trying to save money!!! i charge what is fair, take it or leave it!
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What was it that was said in the few minutes you talked to him before he told you he still had to think about it?
  7. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Just told him what else we do and offer and talked about how much snow we got this year (when I gave him the estimate 2 months ago he wanted a snow removal estimate too). I would rather not have this customer because these are the type that have problems paying also.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OH I see...............