Indetify my lawn and a weed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dharris, Jun 9, 2007.

1. dharris

dharris LawnSite Member

Wow, glad I found you guys. I now think I;m in the correct place for this question.
    Sorry, i am not a professional landscaper, but i figured this was the place to get some answers.

Before I can really start to care for my lawn, would it be possible for someone here to identify my blend of grass?
    Here is a photo of the lawn. Also, if possible, can you identify the kind of weed is included in the photo?
    Thank you much,

Don
    [​IMG]

What could cause the bare spots?

[​IMG]

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like your grass is a tall fescue blend; I can't tell with the close up. The weed appears to be similiar dandelion in leaf shape, but I would be hard pressed to tell you based on only one example (and no flower). The bare spot almost look slike a depression ade by an animal? Pehaps a rabbit or opposum? More pictures etc. would be helpful.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

The turfgrass is Zoysia.Can't tell about the weed at this point.

4. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Is there more than one bare spot of the same kind? The spot looks terribly uniform, more like a water meter box or something like that. Not to mock your question, but have you dug there to make sure there is nothing like a steel plate under the top layer of soil? I have a bare spot in my front yard about 4feet off the street that is from the steel water meter box, looks just like that....:cry:

5. dharris

dharris LawnSite Member

Actually have a few more of different sizes. This spot has already been cleaned out of the dead turf.

Thanks,
    Don

6. dharris

dharris LawnSite Member

How do you know this is Zoysia?

7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Leaf texture,shape,and density.Notice how the leaves are shaped like a sword?Rounded at the end.Fescue is pointed at the end and it's not even close to St Augustine or Bermuda.You need to sharpen your mower blades,btw.

8. dharris

dharris LawnSite Member

Thanks man! I never heard of the turf you mentioned. I'm about to put in a lawn in the backyard. Going with Dayton Valley turf. What do you think of this turf? http://www.daytonvalleyturf.com/ . I'm installing the Emerald Blue
    Kentucky Blue Blend.

I know about the blade, just need to get around to it. I have about 15 mows on this machine.