Indian Cust.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zero_turn_freak, Sep 11, 2006.

1. zero_turn_freak

zero_turn_freak LawnSite Member

Hello, I DO NOT MEAN IN THIS ANYWAY TO BE RACIST!!!

Does anybody else have problems with Indian customers trying to get in a bunch of free services with out paying?:confused: :dizzy:

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

No, never, they are always very generous and are willing to pay extra. At least that is my experience. Well, ok...my experience is the same as yours unfortuneately. I believe it is their culture to haggle and have brought this to America. I do not like to do business this way.

4. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem. I learned to charge more and let them talk me down to more then I would have charged anyway. If that didn't work then I would have dropped them.

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto what wski4fun said.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I learned much about Hindu and Indian culture from an Indian lady friend, she had been a Hindu who was a Christian convert.

We in the landscaping business all have the same stories about tight wadded, try to beat the contractor out of money, haggle about price etc. about Indian clients or prospective clients. This behavior derives out of a part of Hindu Indian culture, called the old caste system. The vast majority of Indians in India are not in the least like the vast majority of Indians immigrating to the US. The Indians migrating here are in hugely disproportionate numbers from the higher caste. This caste by and large are the people who can afford to make the migration out of India, to the USA.Their believe is ,their gods on earth and people they deem below their caste should be subservient to them.

7. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have problems with them also. I try not to steriotype, but it is tough. It seems they always want to negotiate and try to get me to work for free. I hate that.

8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

just picked up a doctor from india who just moved here and wanted me to give estimate on mowing her yard. to make long story short i went to do her yard today and she comes out and said that she wants the front yard mowed only every two weeks and the back mowed once a month! i and could i drop the cost because im not going to mow the whole yard every time. needless to say she is looking for new lawncare provider:hammerhead:

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Usually they try to haggle on the price, but after that I don't have any problems with them. In fact they seem to pay pretty promptly, at least the ones I have.

Probably have more PITA American customers than foreign clients...

10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Over the years I have had numerous customers try to get something for nothing - regardless of their ethnicity.

In particular we maintain a commercial building in Seattle owned by Indians. Aside from their initial sticker shock of what in would cost them to retain our services (their previous LCO was much cheaper - they got what they paid for), we have had an outstanding business relationship.