Indian Summer and Fertilizing Turf

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by The Rookie, Dec 16, 2006.

1. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I winterized my 5000 sq ft front yard November 6th with Scotts winterizer with postemergent weed killer. The yard is predomitaley falcon fescue with some ky bluegrass. The weather where I live has been mild, up in the 70 this weekend. I was wondering if it would be a waste of money to put another bag of 5000 sq ft Winterizer with weed control on my yard now. It has rained alot and I feel the fertilizer I applied in November has already reached the root zone. Also, I mowed and striped the lawn today and it looks almost as good as it did in late spring. I have applied lime in September, and fertilized in the spring. I am trying to get away from chemicals but at the same time I am trying to get my 1 yr old lawn established good. Any opinions, suggestions, critizism, appreciated.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait till mid Feb unless we have a dry winter grass with be dormant in two to three weeks.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

If the Nov 6th application was the only application this fall, I would make a 2nd one. Cool season grasses can easily use 6-7 pounds of N/1000 during the growing season. The ground where you are probably will not freeze soon, if at all. I have found that new lawns require an application every month to stay green. I think its because their root systems are no fully established.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you wish to apply more fertilizer, use a balanced application of N and K such as 19-0-19 with soluble N. The Potassium will help the turf tolerate the cold when the weather returns to normal.

I would not suggest applying more herbicides for weed control.

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i wonder why....6-7 lbs. is overkill. We aren't talking about a new breed of bentgrass. If you are wondering about poor root development, your culprit is right there. Granted, that Nov. 6 app was a dormant feed and now you want to hit it again to gain some more benefits? Wait till it is completely dormant and hit it with a heavy app of something organic. If that doesn't interest ya, try MESA as a n source.

6. The Rookie

Would I want to use a slow release such as the Scotts winterizer or could I use an Agricultural Co op brand fast release? I have used the ag stuff before and it is very cheap priced compared to Scotts. Ag type is either 10-10-10 or 13-13-13. Any comments appreciated.:confused:

7. The Rookie

I just had another idea. Would that liquid nitrogen or green sweep be ok to use? The kind that you hook on to a water hose. I feel the weather is going to stay mild up until January.

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I would consider a balanced granular feeding, but I wouldn't put anymore herbicide on, especially if the lawn is only a yr old. If the lawn is healthy then you shouldn't need multiple blanket applications of weed control, just a good pre-em program.

9. The Rookie

Thank you guys for the input, I will probably feed the lawn one more time and wait till spring. But I might just wait till spring. Depends on how much christmas runs me low on cash.

10. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

if you want to move toward less chemicals, start by not using weed and feed products. stop applying unnecessary chemicals by blanket applying the entire lawn for weeds. the best way to deal with weeds is to solid cultural practices and a good fertilization program. it sounds like you do both of these, so my suggestion is to get a bottle of Weed B Gone from Home Depot or Lowe's and just spot treat the weeds as they come up. this is more effective compared to weed and feed products in my opinion. besides that good stuff.