1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Indiana Co's when is ....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daleman, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

Any Northwest Indiana lawncare owners - when do you usually make your first cut of the year? Also when do you start advertising? Thanks for any info you can provide.
  2. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Start mowing first week of April usually, sometimes the faster lawns last week of March. Some slow lawns second week of April, and it depends on if it is too wet to even get the mower on the yard or not, etc. I have two different very wet spots in my front lawns that you can really tear it up with the mower so it has to wait a while to get mowed and then double cut or I have to walk and use a string trimmer to mow the area, and mow around it with the mower, etc. Push mowers aren't any help in those areas because you still rut just as bad if not worse and they leave nasty brown streaks by the wheels too. No good way of doing it. The rest of my yard is high and dry so to speak. The taller the lawn is the sooner it will start. The short scalped dormant ones will take longer to green up and grow. Mowing does encourage growth though so I will do mine alittle earlier than I did last year.
  4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I started the first week of April last season.
  5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

I start around the 3rd week of March, Last season i did a cut the last week of Feb, Thats what my contract says with US-Lawns...Im in southern IN right on the Ohio River, with all this rain and snow ill be cleaning up some accounts late next week, You can't believe all the trees a stuff that the river gets on some of my cilents yds that live next to the OHIO.......Marks Mowing Service
  6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

C'mon, guys. Geography lesson time, LOL. Indiana is a long state. Southern IN is a good two weeks ahead of extreme northern IN in all things associated with plants.

In northern IN, you will average first mowing during the week that includes April 15. Open suburban areas usually last 7-10 days of April, because they warm up slower.
  7. When do you start mowing???;

When the grass starts to grow.

Wham there ya go Jim......
  8. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Third week of April. ;)
  9. Awilkinson

Awilkinson LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Here in Lafayette, we start first week of April. We started direct mail and door haners in January. the yellow pages is year round. Most commercial contract are done in January. It is good to call in December to find out a contact and when they will be excepting bids!:angel:
  10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

"When the grass starts to grow." Yeah, that's how it's done in the backward state of MO.

Aren't we supposed to mow whenever we can, to make a buck? Ever get the weird looks from passersby when mowing in a Nov snow squall? LOL. I have actually mowed here in Jan and Feb in crazy winters; not on a regular basis, just on cleanups.