1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Indiana DOT cracking down on LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Feb 10, 2005.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I am passing along advance warning to save yourself alot of heartache and high fines.

INDOT is enforcing the rules an reg's about trailers, brakes on all wheels, elcetronic break-a-way units and DOT numbers. And medical Cards for all drivers of such vehicles. I high advise everyone ensure you are running legit. Also, even if you dont have your vehicles registerd under your business name if they can dertermine you are for hire then bam. Fines, Fines, and more fines.

here is the low down and the rules
    if your vehicle GVW and trailer total 10,000lbs loaded then you need the above compliance.

3 LCO's have went down so far in my area.

fines were as follow

1200.00 park until he could comply

3900.00 park until he could comply

2. no problem , we went through that last year.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Curious...what are Medical Cards btw?
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Just a guess, but would that be like a insurance card for health insurance, so if you have to go to the hospital during your work, they have your insurance info?
  5. R&R LawnService

R&R LawnService LawnSite Member

Could be for drivers with a CDL, to make sure they have up to date physical.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Geez...they pretty much leave us alone in VA. They figure I'm suffering enough with these outrageous property taxes...

Last time I checked here, you don't need trailer brakes if the gross weight is under a certain amount (3,000lbs I think)
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

in VA they crack down all the time on DOT drivers. Just because you dont have /need a CDL you are still considered a comercial(for hire) driver. Med card is just a driver physical. needs to be done yearly. As does the DOT Pretrip..and pretrip filed and saved for three years.... I was was driving a f250extra cap with a reading body and open/empty trailer. they pulled me into a random safety checkpoint. trailer and brakes and ll checked out, but I was overweight byt 300 lbs...seems the company i was working for did not know it, but the GVRW of the f250 was not rated for the particular reading body they had put on it....off comes the trailer hitch and plow mechanicals. $500 fine.....

Gotta be careful out there....
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

My understanding of a CDL is it is required on anything over 26000 pounds not 10000 pounds. 10000 is what you are allowed to pull as along as you do not go over 26000 you do not need a CDL. The medical card is a yearly physical card that states they do not think you are going to drop dead at the wheel of a rig weighing many tons. So what is it your state is doing since all states are required to have the same motor vehicle laws other wise we would all be out of compliance when ever we crossed state lines. It sounds overly strict and very silly as well My 3500 rack body is listed at over 10000 gvw I can not imagine needing a medical card to drive a small truck like that. The thing about the CDL that annoyed me was they have class A and class B the class B is for dump trucks something our trade is likely to need you could haul like 67,000 pounds with it the kicker was it still had the lower average drivers license trailer weight allowance. So despite that CDL I would not be able to drive a trailer over 10000. That means I would need a Class A which is a 18 wheelers license obviously I do not want to go through that so we have changed our growth plans and decided not to get trucks over 26000 so at least in my state any one in my company could drive them which makes a lot more sense to us.
  9. Here you have to look at it like this, the state is broke and is looking for money .
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Your right. Cdl drivers must have a yearly physical and drug test and a medical card shows that you are up to date. I'm not sure if all state do the medical card thing but Illinois does.

btw..has nothing to do with insurance.