1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Indiana handbook for erosion control

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Loganwildman, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Loganwildman

    Loganwildman LawnSite Member
    Posts: 60

    Where can I get one of these?
  2. 1MajorTom

    1MajorTom Senior Moderator
    Posts: 6,074

  3. GreenMonster

    GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH
    Posts: 2,702

    If that doesn't work, and I was a betting man, I would put money on DFelix knowing how to get a hold of one.
  4. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Contact your local NRES office. They should have the info you need. If you don't know where they are located or can't find their number, contact your local extension agent, they will (should) know.

    It may be online too, I haven't checked the link that Jodi provided.

    Got some Rule 5 work to do? I hope not, that process SUCKS, from what I understand!

  5. Loganwildman

    Loganwildman LawnSite Member
    Posts: 60

    Thats what I'm trying to determine. The job I'm estimating has an area that slopes down to a pond/holding area, and another area that has a slope area. These slopes are not steep by any stretch and I personally think blown straw will work just fine on them.
  6. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Ok, I did some searching starting at the link that Jodi provided.... I'll correct myself, it's not the NRES you are looking for, it's the NRCS. I was close. It was too early this morning.:)

    Your Cass County office info is located here:

    The application for the Rule 5 permit is located here:

    The text of Rule 5 is located here: (the .pdf file (first link) is fairly large, the other link should get you the text (html) version of the same thing...)
    http://www.in.gov/search?q=cache:jd...ylesheet=in-gov&output=xml_no_dtd&site=in-gov[/url] edit: What you are looking for is the section numbered 327 IAC 15-5 (that's the official "Rule 5"), this is a link to the entire 327 IAC 15 document. The "Rule 5" information is on page 10, you'll have to scroll way down to find it.

    As *I* understand it, you need a Rule 5 permit for any construction activity that disturbs ground area of an acre or more. So if you are looking for whether you need a permit for that 51 acres you've talked about in another post, yes, you need a permit. It doesn't matter what the slopes are. The soil and water guys look at total ground area that is disturbed.

    My advice to you is to run- far, far, far away as fast as you can- if you are looking at doing this as a "prime" contractor for someone. If you are looking at doing it for a GC, then they should be the ones responsible for procurring the permit and everything associated with it.

    Another thing about Rule 5 permits that I understand is that they can take anywhere from 6 months to over a year to get approved. Something to keep in mind.

    If the GC does not want to get a permit, don't do it. Get away as fast as you can, 'cause if you don't you'll soon be up a BIG sh*t creek without any paddles in sight.

    My advice is to talk to your local NRCS agent and explain what you are looking at. They should know whether there has been a permit applied for or not. Don't jump into it with your eyes closed, you need to be wide-eyed and a little less than awe-struck getting into it.

    Hope it helps!

  7. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Apparently we no longer have 30 minutes to edit our posts.... Now we only have 10.... So, I'll post again!

    I was going to put a second edit in, right after the first edit: section. Basically what I wanted to say is that the second link for the Rule 5 info doesn't work right, go to the state website (http://www.IN.gov ) and do a search for 327 IAC 15-5 if you would rather have the text version as opposed to the PDF version....

  8. Loganwildman

    Loganwildman LawnSite Member
    Posts: 60

    Thanks for the research Dan. I will be a sub contractor for Crider and Crider. I will make sure they secured the permit. And I will check out the links.
  9. Loganwildman

    Loganwildman LawnSite Member
    Posts: 60

    I WILL ask about the permit, but since they already have the earthwork pretty much completed, then I would assume they did get all the necessary permits. We are simply going in to seed the areas worked.
  10. D Felix

    D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,898

    Crider and Crider is fairly large.... They have (and I believe are still doing) various jobs down here. I'm sure that they have already secured the permit, they are big enough that that's an everyday occurance for them.

    I'd still check to see if there is anything special that you will need to do to stay within permit boundaries though. The permit may (I've never seen one or had to deal with it other than a job we bid on but didn't get) state that any slopes over a certain percentage must be blanketed and with a certain type of blanket.

    Just CYA as much as you can, spell out in the bid EXACTLY what you will do, and anything on top of that will be extra $$$$$. If you don't get the job because of that, DON'T loose any sleep over it! It's a lot less painful to break even on a job you didn't get as opposed to loosing your butt on one you did....


Share This Page