1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Indiana LCO OWNERS - What else do I need to GET LEGAL?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tyler7692, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing I have done is completed my Articles of Organization for my LLC, Hart Lawn & Landscape Co. LLC.

Now, what else do I need?

A tax ID number? Where and how do I get it?

Anything else?

ALSO, where do I apply for the fertilizer/pesticide applicators license?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get these knocked out of the way before I officially start up next season...

This is preparation season for me.

By the way, I am out of Anderson...where's everybody else from?
  2. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

I just did a BDA, no license. I don't do sales tax, so I don't need it.

My tax ID is my SS# for my banking stuff.

If you spray you need the license.

I am in Noblesville.
  3. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Please expand on this...

What is a BDA? And why do you NOT do sales tax? Do you have to tax services such as mowing, or is it just services that you actually leave a product (sprays, mulch, ect...)?

Where did you register your SS# as your tax ID #? What forms/website did you use?

See, I am totally lost here.

Thank you for your help and interest.
  4. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

Sorry, its DBA not BDA.
    Where I am there is no tax on labor.

I didn't register my SS#, thats just what my bank used because I don't have a tax ID.

To get the spray lic. it was going to cost me about $300 to do it the fast way at Purdue. So I don't have it yet.
  5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he meant; DBA = Doing Business As
  6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

$300 my butt. The 2 day course is $250 and the testing classes are about $90 each. Plus license costs. I spent about $1k getting licensed for pesticides by the time I paid for hotels and gas.

DBA means doing business as which is what many solo operators run as. The tax ID you get from the IRS, it is done online and easy to do.

Really you need no licenses in Indiana unless you apply pesticides. To run a mowing business no licenses are necessary unless the local town or county requires one which I doubt most do. The Indiana State Chemist Office(ISCO) regulates pesticides and licenses, and Purdue does the teaching and testing.