1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Indiana newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Birdie109, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Birdie109

Birdie109 LawnSite Member

I am needing some disparate help here :). I am a first time ZTR buyer and trying to figure out a few questions. A little intro.... I am looking at something to mow about 4-5 acres (which is soon to be the size of my residential property) and I am again located in Indiana.

1. I have been told to go with a commercial grade mower due to the size of the property...thoughts? Or could I get away with a upper end residential mower?

2. Brands I have been looking at scag, hustler, ferris, JD ( not a 100% sure on that one). Ah others i should consider?

3. If I had to pick two of my top concerns I would say its cut & comfort. I have some what bad back from to many sports.

Instead of the scag cheetah....go with the scag freedom?
    Instead of the hustler super z... Go with the turf x one?

Are these options since this is not my full time job...or for durability should I pay more up front and have no worries? However, there is a big difference in price.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

2. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

Buy commercial grade/ Suggest either John Deere or Exmark.
  3. indplstim

indplstim LawnSite Member

Pay now(commercial grade mower)or pay later(parts, and replacing resi. mowers) you really can't escape it. I'd go with the exmark lazer personally. Also the Ferris/snapper ztrs have a pretty cool suspension setup that may help with the back. Another important consideration is dealer support.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. IES

IES LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know what side of town your on but there are several good dealers in the area. I got what the best closest dealer sells. Most machines come with warranties ask dealer about loaners and speed of turnaround for a homeowner cause its your only machine
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. mbigred

mbigred LawnSite Member

badboy outlaw:clapping: