Indiana Turf 3B

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I take the core on the 13th and the 3B on the 20th. I have read the entire core book and it does not seem too bad. I am about to start reading the 3B book. It looks a lot harder.

Any tips on what to pay special attention to? There are no sample questions.:rolleyes:

Thanks for any help.:)

2. 3B lots of pictures of weeds, bugs and diseases. Pay also close attention to labels.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks, anyone else?

Also, are the test all multiple choice?

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

know the book completely and make sure you can do the calculations, know signs and symptoms of different diseases, different types of weeds and what makes them a grass, sedge or broadleaf. Be able to ID weeds from pictures, know laws pertaining to applicators, different types of Pesticide Licenses. know every detail.

5. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Core and 3b are not that hard. Core is mostly safety and history. Category 3B is broken into 4 areas, but they are not separate test. Weed ID, math, Disease ID, Insect ID. It's a multiple choice test. Read your manuals with hi-liter in hand and review daily. You will get PLENTY of time for the test. There are some tricky questions like "in what month should a grub application be made, A June, B July, C August, D Sept. I had a problem with a question like that because it did not state whether we were talking curative or preventive. The Indiana test is not near as hard as some of these guys have to go through in other states

6. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I just read the first 2 chapters of the 3B manual. It is going to be really hard to remeber all of the months. For example, an Armyworm migrates to Indiana in April and May and you should treat in late spring/early summer. It is going to be ridiculous trying to remember all that.

This test is probably a lot easier for people with real life experience. I am trying to learn all of this by the book before this coming spring.

I still need help putting a turf program together if anyone has the time.

Thanks...

7. J Hisch

Good luck.... You are on the right track with your studying. Yes, application in the field is also helpful. But the ISCO is now allowing the 2 day of trainig to replace a year in the field.

8. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Allright, I'm still reading, but it is just not sinking in. For example, there are 13 different fungal diseases listed in the manual. Not to mention all of the bugs and a million and one different weeds.

Under each disease it's like an encylopedia. How much detail do they go into?
    Each one has: Basic description including what grass it effects, soil types, irrigation, and temps, etc. Then it lists all of the symptoms and lastly how and when to control the problem.

I am not stupid by any means, but depending on how much detail they go into, this test could be incredibly difficult.

I feel the testing manual should be more broad. This thing is more like a reference guide.

9. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I took the core today. It was very easy, you must answer 63/90 correctly to pass. I read through the book 5-6 times. There were a few questions that the manual did not cover, can't remember exactly what they were but common sense. 3b will be much more difficult for the reasons you stated above.

10. J Hisch

The core test is different test all together. Yes, you need to know all the details you have mentioned. Keep studying and the test will be a breeze, make flash cards to help you out. Such as the life cycles, the cylces of weeds, disease, what weather they favor and the casues etc. You have to remember if it was a breeze everyone would be doing it. Your concerns have only just began, book studying and field work will differ greatly, and dont forget about calculations. If you miss many there that is why most people fail.