Indiana

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by jajwrigh, Mar 19, 2004.

1. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

When you find out you need a lawyer it's too late . I keep one on retainer. You will need a good tax accountant too. If you have employees you should call a pay role co. Like ADP or Paychex . The lawyer can help you with LLC and a tax person can help with the rest. I have been doing lawn and landscape for years. Trust me. Get a lawyer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

Ok, let me tell you a small story on why you need a layer. I traded a truck in for a new one at a big car dealer here in Fort Wayne. The truck was sold at auction to a person from out of state. The titles don't transfer out of Indiana. So I was still the legal owner in the eyes of Indiana. Ok... So the person who bought it was a Mexican . They came to Fort wayne. Crashed that truck. Killing a woman and smashing city property. They had no insurance . Now, the city lawyer and the wrongfull death lawyer saw my name. Saw I owned a landscape co. And came after me. Said that Mexican worked for me and I was liable . Trust me people love cash and what what you have or will have. My lawyer helped me so much. With out him I could have lost EVERY THING ! Get a LLC. You will need a lawyer for that. Dont do lawn care with out it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

One more story. A friend of mine. Was mowing and hit a stone with the mower blade. The stone flew over a four lane high way, through a window and into the brain of a woman eating lunch. Dead. No LLC , he lost his house and co. He works for a box store now. Get a lawyer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. c&m Lawn care

c&m Lawn care LawnSite Member

ok so to start out with the licenseing and DBA INS. get a lawyer and accounten. Do you remember how much all this cost? i have the equipment

5. c&m Lawn care

the lawyer will help me abtain a LLC?

6. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

It's not that bad. DBA was like 25 when I did it. DNR 50. I pay 100 per month liability through farmers ins. I have a chemical on it. The state Chemist is like 200. The LLC was way more. You may need a usdot # too. Some city's have a doing business tax too. That tax you on your worth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. c&m Lawn care

right on hoping to get this rolling soon do i have to have anything special for commerical propertys?

8. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

Oh and don't mess with Indiana work force. They don't play. So when you do pay role . Use a Paychex or ADP. They will do it all for you. They will do workers comp and all taxes for you . Good luck. You can use your SSN but don't. Use a tax ID number.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

As far as I know. It's the liability they like. Over 1 mill. Some like you to be bonded too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. c&m Lawn care

thanks for the advice think of anything else let me know greatly appreciated