individuals may owe use tax

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grass disaster, Jan 17, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i'm reading this little news letter here and it says that if i buy something over the internet or from another state that i need to pay the use tax.

it includes jewelry, boats amd motors, snowmobiles, atv's ,art, furniture, tools, appliances.

so does this mean that if i buy a used 4-wheeler from a private seller that i have to pay the tax when i file.

2. only thing I know when I was going through a sales tax audit, they nailed me for anything that I bought outa state that tax was not paid on. They said I need to keep a separate total of all things and send in the amount at years end, I'm talking cards, office supplies or anything else, I did'nt argue it was bad enough as it was. The auditor was here for 4 hours going through everything not a lot of fun.

3. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of a sales tax audit, what determines whether you get popped for that? A little scary. Who else has gone through this?

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

All it takes is one employee or a tip to the state or there was an audit at one of your suppliers. You don't mess with the sales tax guys they will close you down in a heart beat.

5. I guess its kinda like a lottery pick except you ain't the winner. As far as the tax goes you can get by not paying on a four wheeler or other things you mentioned, where they will get you is if its on your books and and you are expensing it.

6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i was planning on deducting it.

this state tax thing really sucks