1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Indoor Tree????

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by GRT, Jan 26, 2006.

1. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

Probably not the right forum/section, but I have been asked to put a tree indoors in a business office. The ceilings are approximitely 20-24 feet tall. It will have plenty of access to sunlight. Any recommendations?

2. Bigtreeman

Bigtreeman LawnSite Member

I like bannana.

Funny request.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Acer palmatum,Japanese Maple,many kinds
    Arbutus unedo,Strawberry tree
    Podocarpus macrophyllus,Yew Pine
    Lagerstroemia indica,Crape Myrtle(dwarf forms)
    and many many more,The ones above are for container planting
    I suggest you ask at a local nursery for their recommendations also

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Phicus seems to be a popular choice. I would say chose a tropical plant of some kind. I can't see a northern species doing well in a controlled climate.
  5. Bigtreeman

Bigtreeman LawnSite Member

Bannana's are great indoor plants. Check it out. They had one at the bio tech lab at UCONN. Nice big leaf.

I would go tropical also. With slow growth rate.
  6. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

You need to contact a local interior plant broker. Any palm or other tropical will need to have been acclimated or grown under shade cloth. Expect to pay extra for this. Installing a field grown tropical will cause it to decline upon placing it in the lower light interior. What sort of lifespan does the client expect? Many projects are set up for replacements on a yearly basis.

If you can't come up with any brokers and this is a one time only, single item, try using Willow Run Greenhouses out of Northern Virginia. They have weekly inbound and their buyers could probably source what you want and deliver it.
  7. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

Kentia Palm, Raphis Palm, Chamadorea Palm.
    Ficus, Karyota, Draceana (many types) list goes on and on...

However, if it is direct sunlight, meaning too hot, the leaves may get burnt depending on which you go with.

That's pretty tall for an indoor office plant. How much width space do you have to work with?

My best guess would be Kentia or Ficus
  8. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

Few examples=

1. Ficus Ali
    2. Kentia Palm
    3. Ficus Benjamina
    4. Karyota Palm

All of these I believe come 15-20foot tree-type range (that's what you want anyway, for they will eventually get taller over time)

I worked for a interior plantscaping company for 3 years, so ask away...

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how I missed replying with Ficus...brain fart