1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Industrial Belts vs. OEM

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by maintenanceguy, May 2, 2006.

1. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We just bought a g*********r zero turn mower. We've been going through Mule Belts pretty fast. I've bought a couple of OEM belts for $72 each.

Getting tired of spending so much on just a stupid belt, and being a maintenance guy, I took the belt down to our friendly neighborhood industrial supplier and had them measure it for us.

The same exact belt, without the brand name...$15 each.
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's eating belts up pretty fast then it's probably not the belts your buying. Check that the bearings in the mule drive are good. Then check out the carrier bearing. Then the deck. Try removing the belts and turn everything by hand to see if it is binding in anyway. Make sure that when you buy a belt other than oem that it is the same thickness. You may get in trouble if you have an industrial belt and you replace it with a fractional hp belt. There are at least 3 variations of v belts. Industrial, FHP, L,
  3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

ive had good luck replacing OEM belts with Gates belts from a industrial supplier. there are several types of belts, as has been stated. some are for belt clutch applications, several different widths, and other variations. get a GOOD parts man and you will get the correct belt. i use Motion Industries, formerly was Berry Bearing. i highly doubt a company making mowers and such has a factory making belts, im sure they get them from a belt company. im also sure belts from the parts department is a huge profit maker for the dealer, and they count on you buying from them when you buy a piece of equipment.
  4. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey Rusty You in jacksonville florida? I go to Motion Industries every month and they are a god send when it comes to belts and bearings.
  5. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

no, batavia, il. motion industries is all over.
  6. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket LawnSite Member

You may see if you can find a supplier in your area who carries Kevlar belts. I am having very good results with them. They are a bit more cost but definitely worth it.
  7. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... I was told by someone I know, in the business, that the replacement belt for my JD was built to a higher standard than OEM. He told me he would sell me the OEM but it would NOT last as long and he himself WOULD buy JD instead. So I went and bought the JD at more money and was told buy another fellow, that I know, even though it was a better belt and yes it would last longer it would only last about a season! And that is about how it has gone. What to you think about them apples :rolleyes:?