1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

industrial weed control

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by icobob, Sep 9, 2007.

1. icobob

icobob LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I have put down the fabric from Home Depot for controlling weeds. This stuff doesnt work. While I was a the movie theatre I noticed some stuff that they had used and it looked allot stronger and there was no weeds. Does anyone know what and where is the best weed control fabric? Like a Industrial Strength fabric. Thank You
  2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

If you are using the fabric under mulch you will always have weeds. The mulch basically turns into soil and the weeds grow in it. If there are no plantings or very few just use some thick plastic. This is what I have had to do for a lot of my really lazy customers who wouldn't pay to have there weeds pulled, but won't even consider bending over and pulling them themselves.

Where in IN are you?
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Black plastic is no good around any plantings............
  4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

The plastic works fine if you water the plants or run soaker hoses under the plastic.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You don't need to lay fabric when laying mulch. Lay the mulch thick at least 3 inches, fabric is a waste.
  6. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

^^^what she said^^^ w/ a pre-emergent weed control
  7. icobob

icobob LawnSite Member
    from indiana

yes the paper is a total waste. The weeds are not growing in the mulch, they are actually coming thru the paper ( Dont know how that stuff is hard to rip )
  8. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

my mulch is 3.5 inches deep and i never get any weeds in any of my beds
  9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I have noticed that the seeds germinate in the mulch and the roots grow thru the fabric to gain in stature. Plastic does not allow that.
    What it all allows is the sucker roots from the plantings you want spreading into areas you do not want.
    No fabric or plastic allows maintenance that keeps everything as you want it. Tilling the mulch into the soil keeps weeding simple and the sucker roots in control.
    I have never seen a maintenance free landscape yet.
    Low maintenance with heavy mulch -yes.
    However, in 5 years with shrubs there is a problem. Perennials can show problems in 2 years.
    Remember, you can't sell fabric/plastic and cost effective maintenance.
  10. icobob

icobob LawnSite Member
    from indiana

thanks guys, lesson learned... Cant nothing be easy!!!