industrial work

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Qualey, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Anyone specialize or do a lot of industrial commercial sub work?
    We have recently expanded into retaining wall systems at large scale construction projects. My crew is not ICPI cert. yet, nor am I. Hopefully this will change soon as we are an Anchor Wall distributor and they encourage (and assist with) this process.
    I was just curious what % this is of your operation and if you are ICPI cert.

Matt

2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

All we do is pavers and walls. We are an ICPI member. I am ICPI certified and I teach the ICPI class to become certified. It does help on occasion on getting jobs referred from architects. You tell most people you are ICPI certified and they say

"who and what is that" and that is people in the industry.

I would strongly encourage you to take the ICPI class in your area. However, we do not cover any material concerning retaining walls.

icpi.org

Peace,

Rex

3. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

"However, we do not cover any material concerning retaining walls."

What do you mean by this Rex? Does ICPI focus solely on path and non-structural systems?

Matt

4. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

We teach the fundamentals of installing pavers not retaining walls. However,
    there is some crossover, which could be used. We talk about soil conditions, compaction and base prep. Quite a bit of that information can be utilized on SRW.

Go to the ICPI web site and look up the tech specs. You will see no mention of retaining walls only pavers.

Peace,

Rex

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

" "However, we do not cover any material concerning retaining walls."

What do you mean by this Rex? Does ICPI focus solely on path and non-structural systems? "

Yes, the Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute only concerns itself with interlocking pavements. So it makes sense that they don't also cover SRW's. Is there an organization dedicated to that segment of the hardscaping industry?? Or maybe they are covered by the association that covers general concrete products (which probably includes pavers, walls, block, etc. etc.)?