Industry Certifications???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 2006Silverado, Jul 19, 2007.

1. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

Are any of the various industry certifications out there worth getting? PLANET offers a few 'CTP-Certified Turfgrass Professional', 'COLP-Certified Ornamental Landscape Professional', 'CLP-Certified Landscape Professional'...They run about $200-350, so they aren't exactly cheap...But if they're worth getting...

Haven't really seen anything about them, searching the forums haven't really found anything...That would kinda tell me either they don't mean a thing, or few people bother with them...Seems like they would be a good thing to get???

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't seen to many people around here with ant type of cert's from them. I honestly dont think it would be a waste money. The best experience anyone can get is hands on from a good company or someone who really knows there stuff,of course if i could do it all over again I'd go to college for everthing i could about the landscaping business. Oh and Jesus Christ actually died for both your soul and your freedom.

3. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

The sensible side of me says get all the accredited certification you can to make yourself as an individual or company more desirable in the Landscape Industry.

The rebel side in me says, who are they to tell me that I'm less desirable without there so called certification!

Truth is after being born and raised on a general stock nursery and putting behind me over 25 years of repetitious landscape installations, I'm not even close to knowing everything and i never will.

I say if you have the time and money, then learn as much as you can. The various Landscape and Horticultural associations are always on the cutting edge in an ever changing industry.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think it could possibly hurt.

I have been contemplating anteing up the money to take the turf course...

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like how the computer field went, when I was working in this field it was very importaint to have these simply because of the hype,

it was a good advertisement, I could say I'm a certified Microsoft Engineer.
    but in between me and you it amounted to a hill of beans.

if you did this I would make sure you could use there logo's and there advertisements, "this is how it was with Microsoft"
    that's about all you will getr outta it,
    NOW to try to see how many customers you will get because of it is allmost impossable to count,

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems to me that if you put the certification information on a bid all you would have to do is ask "Was there a particular factor that caused us to (Win/Lose) the project?", you should be able to determine if it generates sales. I know when I was looking to have a pool built I looked for certifications.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking of actually stopping in at Planet...their main office or headquarters is about a mile from my shop. Wouldn't mind talking to someone in person.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That sounds like an awesome idea, then you can get some info for us:)

9. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

I have noticed many of the larger scapers have certs. Funny.....BOHIAA I am in the computer field now. Getting out.....I have the certs, Chubb diploma and it does not mean a thing unless I have my masters now. As for the landscaping business....I do agree with you all. I could not hurt to get some certs. What seperates you from the other guy.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yes this would be helpfull in larger bids, also what I have found most homeowmers "women" ya can BS them on certs, but also they just want a nice looking lawn at a fair price,

I guess it would depend on who your target Customers are,
    And I know for a fact in advertisement it would help.
    But like you OUCH on the price....

check it out at try to post your findings,
    ya got us all courious now............