Industry Guide Lines For Beginners.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lakeview, May 19, 2003.

1. Lakeview

Lakeview LawnSite Member

Would lawnsite.com consider a separate locked thread dealing with basic guidelines for individuals entering into the lawn maintenance business. A type of industry guideline manual.

Cocerning some of the following aspects:
    (1)The importance, functions and legal aspects of insurance, licensing and work permits.
    (2)Hourly or square foot rates for mowing, edging and weed eating.
    (3)The relation of cost per mowing compared to the frequency of mowings. Such as $50.00 for a weekly one hour mowing or $80.00 for a weekly one hour mowing every two weeks.
    (4)Double cuts, would this constitute two mowings. $50.00 for the first and $50.00 for the second.
    (5)And so on and so forth.

Auto repair shops and garages all use an industry standard guide line book to set prices on their labor. Shouldnt the lawn maintenance industry attempt to do the same. This is only proper.

I have general technical knowledge of mowing from doing it as a teenager and working on golf courses. But i do not know a lot about setting industry standard prices. I would hate to price a job at $50.00 when others in my are getting $75.00 because i dont think i would benefit anyone in my area including the lowballers. I would like to think every one within an hours drive of my town would be attempting to give the same estimates.

Ive looked at this board daily since i found it last week. I am spending from three to four hours a night looking through its content. I am definitely going into the business full time next spring with new equipment. Hundreds if not thousands of others are most likely considering the same thing. This is going to happen and there is no other way around it. Even though this is sure to happen there is no need for them to bid low on jobs and making it hard on themselves and everyone else in the industry. If everyone will continue to work hard and raise the standards for this industry then more respect will be commended toward this industry as a whole.

A while back i came under scrutiny because i worked on a golf course for under seven bucks an hour. Some lazy a$$ed college educated qu$$r automatically assumed the reason i was on a golf course was because i could do no better. That somehow i had found my place in society as a low classed grunt. Several years ago i was a grounds worker for a school board. Whenever the issue of low wages and pay raises came up some one was always quick to say "Yes but you are classified as unskilled labor".

I think a seperate locked thread dedicated to setting industry standard guidelines would be a very smart direction for this board to gravitate towards. In the end it would save everyone a lot of quess work and give the industry a stronger sense of movement in the right direction.

Maybe even a seperate website with a simple beginners discussion board would be more proper for accomplishing this. I dont have a lot of money but would be willing to pay a small yearly amount to help accomplish this.

2. FLMOWER

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

I posted a topic about a price list and was tying to get some feedback, however was unsuccessfull. I was trying something like this. I think industry standard are the only way to improve this business.

Prices
    Mowing
    $2.75 easy trim per 1,000 sq. ft
    $3.00 ave.
    $3.50 difficult

Edging ????

hedges $1 / linear foot ave.
    $1.50 difficult

Installation of plants
    12.00 1 gal.
    15.00 3 gal.

3. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

there is an area, business forums, " just getting started", that covers just such items. the only trouble is people that are not licensed or insured don't read this stuff. price is going to be what the market will bear, you don't want every job, bid accordingly.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

FLMOWER... Hahahahahahaha! $12 for 1 gal. plants! $15 for 3 gal. Not in this area. Usually it is 2 to 3 times wholesale cost for anything. Example: 1gal. liriope my cost $1.75 install price $4.00

$1.50 per foot pruning? I do that and I would retire after this summer! God son good thing you aren't on the West Coast of FL cause all these old farts and condos would laugh you right out of town.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see those prices but it will not happen. Period. That is the problem with price standards. There are different regions and those prices are different too. I try to charge to as much as I can get and make a decent profit.

5. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Hourly rates for what kind of equipment ?

How far between stops ?

How tough is the terain ?

You must know your overhead + profit

Thats why auto shops don't all charge the same

6. dtain22

dtain22 LawnSite Member

it might be a good comparison for us to post pix of lawns with the prices we charge in order for us to get an idea of each LCO's quality of work. some guys might put up that they charge $50 per hour on a weekly lawn and they do a crappy job when another guy might post that he mows a one hour weekly lawn for $75. pix would quickly eliminate the guess work behind size, quality, and difficulty level (such as if there were hills or lots of weedeating)

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So who do you think should be in charge of making the industry decisions? Maybe JAA or Sean or LGF or BHB or me or Lawn Chopique or ??? Point is, tooooo many variable not only between locations, but also between the companies and types of work. The best way to help your business is to learn as much as possible and make educated decisions.

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh man, you left me out.... :cry:

Hoss, good point. Learn all you can about your area and its pricing structure. Different area's price's might be high to me, or low to you. Only way to keep a balance is know YOUR market, and its limits.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The answer is really very simple....THEIR'S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE"!! And, no matter how you try to shortcut it, it can't be done. So, just relax, and "learn the old fashioned way"........ BY DOING...................
    Even if we told "WHAT" to do, it's "HOW" you do it that's the difference........
    Pete