industry standards

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by springbokker, May 24, 2004.

1. springbokker

springbokker LawnSite Member

Our company is just 10 months old and doing well so far. Now that we have our first two staff, I am trying to find the industry standards for the landscape maintenance industry.
    Specifically, the correct approx. % of gross that should be spent on wages, fuel, etc,......

Your help would be extremely valuable to us,
    Clint Weimann
  2. tn yard man

tn yard man LawnSite Member

I break each job up as follows:
    Decide the cost of the job, ( the expense to you; equipment, fuel, labor including yourself, time, etc...)
    Now, once you have this , you know what you are out from the get go.
    Double figure to get the money you were out back and you have made a profit.

worked for me since day one.

I started with a push mower and weedeater and have built my business to the leading competitor in my town.

it has no choice but to work as long as you figure all expences and don't leave any out.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you need to know your standards, not the industry. All areas differ by region, state, county, city, etc. So where you might be making a lot, someone else in the same situation but different area wouldn't make as much.

I would suggest to brainstorm, set a budget, and set how much profit that you would to make. What are you worth is the question to ask yourself