inexpensive slope mower ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkilov, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I have a few slopes that run alongside a local creek. So far I have been using a trimmer and it's backbreaking work. However, there's not enough of it to justify funding an expensive machine.

Does anyone know of a small slope mower of any kind that does'nt cost a fortune and can do hills of 40-45 degrees ?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

nothing will do that. your angle is to Great. all the oil runs to one side burning up the engine

3. jkilov

from MS

I know about oil starvation. But there has to be some kind of machine built for the task in question even if homeowner quality.

Where do I get something like this ???
    [​IMG]

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes there is, and you already have it.

5. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

They probably don't sell those in this country-that's pretty common. How about a hover mower-Husky makes one.

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i would get a goat. he will have food and water.

7. jkilov

from MS

I thought about that, but would'nt a hover mower have a tendency to glide downhill? And how would the engine cope?

A large lawn company mowed these slopes years ago. They used a tractor mounted swing arm type mower. Due to new building construction, some of the areas became inaccessible and had to be done by hand. At some point the company went out of business and the divided areas were assigned to multiple small lco's, me included. Most of my rivals use backpack trimmers, but I'm not sure it would be balanced for a tall operator like me.

I'll try to dig up some pics, to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried a split shaft weedeater with a 3' extension shaft? If its a small area, it'll keep your feet dry. Downside is that it will give you a good upper body workout, due to the extra weight, and the length of the shaft that you are using.:weightlifter::weightlifter:

9. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Dont know of anything inexpensive. Toro makes a front deck mower that the body of the mower tilts to the side so when you are on a hill you are sort of upright but they are probably 15 to 20 thousand. I had also called about a spider mower that I saw in turf magazine. They are remote control up to 300 feet. But guess what that little machine cost $42000, so back to weed eating for me.

10. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Yea, with a hover mower, you'd have to stand uphill and mow below you like a bunker on a golf course. I don't know about the engine coping part. You'll probably have to go back to a trimmer. I have a long and tall bank we mow with a WB that's 45 degrees but the WB has a tendency to want to flip.