1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Inferior Products

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jaeger, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Jaeger

Jaeger LawnSite Member

I almost get sick to my stomach hearing peoples testomorials on their new power equipment. These homeowners, only know the likes of Weedeater, Homelite, PoulanPro, Ryobi, Craftsman, etc.
    I had a person recently showing off his new trimmer to me (PoulanPro) boasting its performance, power, etc. He said: Well what do you think?
    I replied; Well it sure is'nt a Stihl.
    He said, No mostly everything is plastic anyway.

What a Shame.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I thought Sthil was homeowner? Everybody I talk to in the business that knows the equipment tells me quality is going down across the board and stihl quality is not near what it used to be.
  3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why I only buy sthil echo redmax. I have had sears brands and they all burned out. My sears hedge trimmer burned out the other day while idling. The thing was junk. It was given to me by a friend. Used it on my own hedges only. Never again will I make the mistake of buying cheap or even accepting equipment.:angry:
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

that thing will probably last him a good 10 years if hes just using it on his own yard though. its not like hes trying to cut 50 yards a week with it? or is he?
  5. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Dude, you're wierd. He's just a homeowner. True he could've went out and purchased a homeowner trimmer from STIHL but he just wanted to show off his "big" purchase. To him its a big thing to us its a POS and nothing. Everyone looks at soemthing differently you just aren't opened minded.:dizzy:
  6. Jaeger

Jaeger LawnSite Member

True, the guy liked what he got for what he's doing, and most likely will last everybit of 10 yrs if well maintained.

I quess I should relax and live and let live.

Just something about the way a Honda UMK431 31cc trimmer feels, sounds, works and looks.

The weekend warrior shall prevail!

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl quality is better than it used to be!

Seriously though, all LCO's around here use stihl handhelds and nothing else. You dont see echo, redmax or shindy on 90% of the rigs round here.

I have bought all stihl and feel it is the best out there.
  8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl's quality is WORSE than it used to be..that's for sure!

The old FS-85's etc. were bullet proof. The new 4 mix stuff....not so much.

My dealer is big on Stihl and they have a ton of the 4 mix stuff in the repair shop all the time. Even the owner is getting a little gun shy on Stihl products and he wears orange underwear!
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If I just cut my own lawn. I would just have a mtd push mower and a cheap trimmer. You don't need proffesional tools to just mow your own lawn. Maybe if you have large acreage, the need would be there for heavy duty equipment.