1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

infield height

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by cgrappler135, Feb 27, 2009.

1. cgrappler135

cgrappler135 LawnSite Member

I have the chance to bid on 2 local baseball fields. I was just wondering what the normal cutting height is for the infield? My understanding is anywhere from 2"-2 3/4". Does that sound about right? Thx

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on your turf and I'm not kidding when I say this " How the coach wants it cut " . If he wants a fast field cut it low ; slow field cut it high . I know this sounds nuts but I'll give you an example . My coach would get his scouting report of the opposing team for the coming week . He would tell me if he wanted a fast or slow field . Oh , stripe the heck out of it !!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

We used to do the same thing on a diffrent scale at the golf course. If they had a tourney coming up and we new it would be windywed letd it come up a hair so ur ball would stick alittle more. u couldnt tell by looking but it was there. 2'' is probably the shortest But in the spring it will take daily mowing to keep it there

4. ktmmedic

ktmmedic LawnSite Member

We try to keep our baseball and softball fields around 1.5". Priced a Toro reel mower last week. If principal gives in the fields will be around .75"