inflatable pools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a couple of customers who put up these inflatable pools.Now you know if the string on the wacker hits it ,it will burst! so what is every one doing about this? My customer said just weed wack it, so i told him if i destroy the pool i will not replace it, how do i present the issue in the middle of the season to the customer? should i put this in writing now?
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't do it. If you know its going to eventually do damage to their pool, why as a proffesional would you even consider it. Tell them to deal with the uncut grass, Round Up it, or get out the hand pruners. Wheather or not you pay for the pool, you can bet in the end it will be bad publicity for you. Those inflatable pools are nothing but a pita for us lawn companies. :realmad:
  3. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

BoBBYG do you have a clues in your contract for these inflatable pools??? How did you word this one?
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We mow close to them, and then use Glystar around the entire pool perimeter, eliminating trimming around it..
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't had one yet, but I have thought about it before. I would tell the customer that I will not trim around it, not even if they say don't worry about it and I would also tell them that I won't be responsible for damage due to flying debris. If they agree then I'll make a note in the customer record, if they disagree, then I won't continue. I can accept a certain amount of risk but those pools are just water balloons waiting to pop and the best person to blame is the person who cuts the grass. If somebody is on City water they probably have more invested in the water than in the pool.
  6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

If they are empty, I move them. If they aren't, I work around them. Haven't had any complaints.....yet.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You tell the customer that if they want the grass around them to not be growing up there, then they can go to Home Cheapo and buy themselves a bottle of Roundup and run a bead around it. Tell them atleast an inch. If you are licensed, then just do it and charge accordingly.
  8. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

I try to stay away from moving any lawn items,I believe it's the customers responsibility to move or pick up all hoses,yard tools, yard furniture,toys,animal feces,tents,bush trimmings,flower bed debris,trash cans, ect. round - up and vinyl pool lining don't mix to go, causes a chemical reaction and some melt,lol bye bye pool! maybe offering some landscaping around the pool area would work, for now i,m staying away from them!!!
  9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We run into a lot of em especially on rental props. Its a pain but we always discharge away from em at least 4 rows and also we won't trimor spray around them. No one ever says anything about it. I'm not paying 300 bucks for some wal mart disposable pool. When we moww we don't go within 6 inches of em.

As far as other obstructions there is a few people we move stuff for but they pay accordingly. I don't mind moving a lawnchair for 80 yr old mrs smith. Its the people that let their kids leave crap all over the yard that get me. Or worse when the cable co leaves wires on the ground. Now that's a pita