Inflating tire problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tbillow, Oct 2, 2004.

1. tbillow

tbillow LawnSite Member

I had my front tire on my Toro Z-Master go low on air and then come off the rim. I am trying to re-inflate by compressing the tire with a belt but I can't get a good enough seal for it to hold air. I am using high pressure to try and force air in as fast as possible but that does not seem to be working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

there arre 2 options
    1- put a tube in it and you wont have to worry about it
    2- use a tube of cheap grease to fill in the gap around the bead of the tire

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Use a compressor of course, and have the rim off of the mower sitting on the ground. Have a 2nd person try to push the tire onto the rim, and eventually they will get it so that it will inflate. I hope I explained clear enough. I have had them not inflate no matter what, then you hit it just right and it inflates. It may also help to say **** a few hundered times.

4. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

Take a rachet tie down and wrap it around the tire and tighen it. That should seat the tire on the rim. Good luck

5. digg

digg LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I know this sounds off the wall but it works.I have seen it done many times.
    squirt a little starting fluid in the tire and light it, it will seat the tire enough that you can put air in it.

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The ratchet mentioned above will work. You might have to take the needle out of the valve to let more air in more quickly in order to seat the tire.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have heard of that working great. Im just to scared to try it.

8. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Use a clip on tire chuck with the core removed. This will free up both hands. If that does not work, then shoot some starting fluid in it and throw a match, but stay back as far as you can. This is very dangerious. But if all else fails, go to the tire shop, and tell them to put the bead cheta on it. That always works!

9. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

I have used the strap method in conjunction with removing the core and using my blower attachment on the hose to flow more air.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes a strap is too wide and a rope works much better. Tie it around like in a lassoo, and make sure it's in the center of the tread. Use a screwdriver to put in the rope and twist to tighten it down.