inflation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by befnme, Jul 16, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

with gas prices on the rise i had thought about increasing the prices of some of my lower end customers.only by about 5 bucks or so.my wife says more will decide not to pay it than ones will and i would lose customers .what do yall think?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think a $5.00 increase is too much to ask at once,raise them like $1.75 at a time.Then beggining of season next year sign um up for the increased price.Also be sure to send out a letter or give them notice their bill is increasing due to gas prices.This should have been done at the beggining of the season,not right in the middle you fiqure it out.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We do monthly invoicing only.

Last month, fuel surcharges ran 5% exactly over and above of total monthly bill (for each individual client). So far, not one peep out of 164 mailings. Trust me...they understand the pain after filling up just like you do.

Our fuel bill for the month of June was just under 3K. Ouch!

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I don't even have a fuel surcharge in the contracts But I sent everyone a notice with the invoice that there was a $5.00 increase per mow starting july 1st because of the associated cost of fuel. No complaints and no cancellations

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah I raised some that were low anyways to compensate for fuel. I explained it nice that fuel prices have increased and if they come back down I will be happy to knock the 5 bucks back off. Monthly invoices just get a 3% fuel surcharge added and no one has complained either. Every one of em buy gas too and know what it costs.