Info for Old deck style owners

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ccl, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

I own a 04' Super Z 60" deck and have never been totally satisfied with the cut quality, I recently put on the spacer kit to run flat blades and opened up the discharge opening, per Hustler specs. The discharge was better, but I really couldn't tell a noticable difference with cut quality after running the flat blades compared to the offset blades. It never has lifted the grass up very well that the front tires push down and I always run hi-lift blades and alternate my mowing patterns weekly. So I decided to try something I did on one of my walkbehinds a couple of years back that just wasn't lifting the grass very good, I went to J-Thomas.com and ordered some Scag hi-lift
    3" wide 21" length blades, the air foil on the blade is alot wider and taller than a normal hi-lift blade, thus creating more vaccum. I ran them all day today and on some really thick grass, huge difference in cut quality, no stringers at all and cut the pushed down grass from the front tires. It also made the discharge even better with the added wind velocity of these blades and the wider opening. I could tell it dragged the motor just a tad more in thick stuff, but nothing major at all, no where close to what running doubles does. Just thought I would pass some info along to some of the owners of the old deck style.

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to be able to run flat blades, Just for the option of alot of different kinds of blades. Only 3 options with the hustler blades.

Is this "lowering kit" avail for a 48" hydro walkbehind.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thank you for your input and your explanation.
    A few users here over the years posted about using a wider blade and higher lift blades, all with different results.

TriCountyLawn,
    Your mower could do this, but you would have to do some work to get it there, this is because you have blade saddles.
    I will ask our parts guys for the info needed for the newer spindle shafts to make this a option for you.

Pj

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Without question, those are the best blades for the old style deck in my opinion.

5. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Got a part number? These aren't gators are they?

6. markindetroit

markindetroit LawnSite Member
    from detroit

I have had the same issue. Mine is also an '04 model. Same complaints with cut quality/not lifting. I will try your suggestion for next year. My year is just about wrpped up. BTW, I tried the Hustler fusion blades this year..not really impressed. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a good one.

7. gps_jetskier

I saw a guy on here that was experimenting with blades. He welded a taller wing on the blade for more lift. I've often thought about doing that to mine, but it would be alot easier to just buy them for some other unit.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Did you put in the spacers? did you open up the discharge opening? I don't hear any complaints once these are all done.

Pj

9. gps_jetskier

what are the dimensions on the spacers?
    I was going to whip up a set here to try out rather drive to my dealer.
    I have the opened up deck, but there are no spacers on my blades.
    I have the flat stock blades on my replacement deck. I could use some help too.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I dont have that information, I will see if I can get it.

Pj