Info needed on walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 06HD BOSS, Apr 8, 2008.

1. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS LawnSite Member

Im in the market for a cheap walkbehind just to get into a couple fenced in backyards. I found this yellow Deere. The only info in the ad is 14hp 48" deck. Was wondering if you guys might know a little more about what kinda engine, or the reliablilty of it. And what to look for if i go see it. Also theres no price, whats fair?
    This is not an everyday mower, just for a couple small backyards.

[​IMG]

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

since your wanting to get in fenced backyards, that 48" might give you a problem. most gates are from 36" to 40" wide. and that 14 hp engine on the 48" seems a little small. just my 2 cents

3. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

2 very good points!

4. 06HD BOSS

3 fences measure 48" exactly. and 1 measures 52"
    so the 48" deck wont be a problem.
    any info on the machine as a whole?

5. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

well, if the gate is 48", the deck on the mower will be around 50" cause of metal/steel whatever. the trim side. but 14 hp is to small for a 48" walk-behind. you can find a better mower. but i don't know what the price is so i can't really give you any advice on that. find out the price. and get some more feedback. hope this helps.

6. Bo614

Bo614 LawnSite Member

:usflag:My question is if your not gonna use it that much and its just for a "few" yards why spend money on it at all? and again cheap isnt always the right way. what if it breaks? what are you gonna do? you will lose the customers that have the fence and have a mower you wont use. honestly if its just for a few i would just pass on the yard all together. i know it sounds crazy but sometimes its better to walk away unless your gonna use the mower more then just a few yard! unless you get it for dirt cheap!!!:usflag:

7. 06HD BOSS

ive already got these 4 yards and im not gonna back out on them. the front yards are good size too. maybe ill just sub some kid and his push mower for them. :dizzy:

8. Bo614

Bo614 LawnSite Member

thats a idea. just remember what he does is a reflection on you so make sure you inspect every inch he mows...lol you know kids they like to do the easy way! lol but if you got the front yard and its big then get the Deere if it justifies the buying a mower just for them. just remember that you will be in the hole what ever you pay for the mower at first so make sure its really worth if not and you want to keep the client...sub it out!:usflag:

9. 06HD BOSS

the subbing to a kid was a joke. :D

10. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

right now yeah. are you hoping to get more contracts that could have a smaller gate in the future? to justify the $ i'd look at a 36". i picked up a bobcat 36" wb last season as a backup and ended up using it more than my 52" primary because of maintenance issues. the 36 handled even the large yards well because it had enough power. i picked up a yard mid-season with a 36" gate and it was tough to get that thing through it without damaging the gate but anything else wouldn't have even made that gig possible without a push mower.

used 36" (2 yrs old, good condition) $1200

hope this helps