Info on different plants

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by theguynextdoor, Mar 19, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know of a website or book that explains each different type of plant/tree/flower, how best to install it, when it is best to trim it, when it blooms, what it looks like, etc... This would be helpful as I don't know too much about the differnt trees, plants, flowers. I don't want to kill anything by trimming it at the wrong time. Obviously a good chunk is common sense, but a good reference would be nice.

Thanks for the info.

2. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

3. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any book by Michael Dirr.. just spend the money on one and you will see why. the manual of Woody plants is basically the Bible

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Beat me to it jbailey... Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs is next to me on the couch right now.

I would buy a number of books- One on pruning, one on perennials, one for turf- it's gonna be hard to find everything in ONE.

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

"The Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" by Michael Dirr is the bible of trees and shrubs.

"The Well Tended Perennial Garden" by Tracy DiSabato-Aust is an excellent book on caring for perennials.

6. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

www.waysidegardens.com

7. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help everyone, for now I'll look at the website and then look into some books when money isn't so tight.