Info on Groundsmaster 223D

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nevinst, May 6, 2002.

1. nevinst

nevinst LawnSite Member

I'm new to the forum and have a bunch of questions regarding my new purchase. I just picked up a used Toro Groundsmaster 223D with a 62" recycler deck. I'm trying to find out as much info as possible about the machine. What engine, specs, capabilities, do's and don'ts, etc.

Until after a few hours of Internet research this afternoon, I didn't know a thing about the mower. I have discovered a few basics but not much in the way of particulars. I would appreciate any comments.

BTW, I paid $200.00 for it :D :D :D (In great shape, cosmetically and functionally) The engine would not start when I bought it but I found a couple wiring problems that were preventing the starter circuit from activating. Cranked right up and runs like a champ! Wiring still needs work though as the engine kills as soon as the PTO or tranny safety switch is engaged. Anyone got schematics for this one?

Hydraulics work great (Deck lifts, lowers and floats and steering is good) and it does move forward and reverse till you push the pedal too far. Looks like a good deal at this point. Has 2007 hours and has been well maintained. Hope to put it to use on my 5 acres.

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks,

Troy

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Your problem with the engine shuting off after engaging the PTO or hydrostat is most likely the seat safety switch. It is either bad or is out of adjustment.

3. nevinst

nevinst LawnSite Member

I was betting on the seat switch myself but didn't get the chance to check it out. I had to leave the mower in Albuquerque 'till I can get a trailer down there to pick it up.

What would cause the oil pressure light to stay on with the key in the off position? I had to disconnect the wire from the oil sender (hear a relay under the seat click and the light goes out when it's removed) in order to get the starter to crank, then it started right up. I'm thinking something else is shorted (relay or sensor) but don't know how that thing is wired. Any ideas?

Thanks

4. nevinst

nevinst LawnSite Member

sdwally,

What does ET III stand for in your signature?

Troy

5. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Equipment Tech. III, (working supervisor). I operate at large repair shop and buy equipment for Metro Parks city wide work units. Currently in my shop are 4 ET IIs, with plans to add an ET I in the near future(depend on budget).

6. nevinst

nevinst LawnSite Member

Just wondering. I am an ET III also.... but an Electronics Tech. III. I operate and maintain electronics equipment on a Bombing Range under a contract with the Air Force. Wasn't sure what else it might stand for.

Thanks for your reply on my question about the mower.

Troy

7. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

check out toros web site they should have manuals. locate a dealer on their site or order parts on line though toro.

hope this helps you out

8. gjbrowne

gjbrowne LawnSite Member

i have the same problem i disconnected the switch it still dos it it ran great last season any help would be great

9. nevinst

nevinst LawnSite Member

If I remember right, my problem was the sensor itself.

10. gjbrowne

gjbrowne LawnSite Member

which sensor the one on the tranny thanks do you have the part # the guy i deal with can order it but cant look it up