Info on hydroseeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JOshua Gallerick, Mar 1, 2001.

1. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

Im looking into buying a hydroseeder do to the the new contruction in my area and I was wandering how to price the jobs and do you prep the soil or have it contracted and is it a good business to get into? Also a lot of people have tractor with lawn seeders is hydroseeding cheaper than going the tractor route.
    I am very interested in getting into this part of the business and would be glad to here any ideas. tHANKS

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Joshua, you still have to fine grade the lawn before you can hydro-seed. Equipment needed are a tractor or skid steer with a rake or somekind of fine grading attachment, so hydroseeding is not as cheap to start as with just a tractor with a seeder. you could sub out to guys wh ned it done.

3. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Hydroseeding is never to be considered as cheap.

Hand seeding is the cheapest, but not the best. Sod is expensive and also the fastest. Hydroseeding should cost about a third of what sod would cost.

Your area will vary but most guys charge between .04 and .06 cents per square foot. Prep work is not included in this figure. If your competing against a sod instalation hydroseeding should be increased to about .08 cents per square foot to cover the extra cost of a heavier slurry.

There are alot of discussions about hydroseeding in the recent past use the search feature.

4. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

I agree Hydroseeding should not be viewed at cheap. You also can't say what to charge. Are prices vary from $.04 to $0.11. The range depends on type of seed, fertilizer, and the biggest is the amount of mulch. The thicker the amount of mulch the more likly you will get a stand of grass and hold erosion to a minimum. If you market you Hydroseeding correct it will be one of the best investments you have ever made. You should contact HTPA for help with pricing and job info. http://www.htpa.org

5. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

Joshua, I recently met a guy from Jordon, MN from Forever Green Landscape supply. They were selling the Easy Lawn hydro seeding system. There phone number is (toll free)1-877-637-9997. Mabey they can help.

6. Sean Gassman

HTPA has Easylawn, Finn, Bowie,Reinco, and Turfmaker as members. All these machines were just at the 2nd Annual Conference.

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Before you buy try to set up a few lawns to hydro. Then rent a machine for a day and get a feel for what it takes in materials and time to do the jobs. Then project your figures to see if it's profitable to buy one or not. Maybe renting is better for you. Just don't rent an Easy Lawn hydro. Personally I have had the material plug it the agitator pipe. It's a bad design. Maybe they have redisigned it.

8. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

There are Stainless Steel Hydroseeding machines available as well. Talk about a long term investment! Email or PM me and Ill tell you where to get information. I dont want to violate LS rules by engaging in what could be construed as product promotion.

Before you buy - steel or stainless, ask some serious questions regarding the need to rebuild some of the above mfgs named by other posters. How often? How expensive? Why even necessary?

The answers may prove shocking.

9. 6.9Driver

6.9Driver LawnSite Member

Being a student pilot and loving anything that flies, and also being in the landscape business I thought all of you fellow hydroseeders would like this. This is the way to do it ;)

http://www.erickson-aircrane.com/Hydro.htm

Enjoy :)

10. Sean Gassman

There are several machines on the market. From what I have been told Easy lawn has changed some of there design. As far as stainless machine I have seen it on the web but do not know of anyone that owns one, but it is a good idea. I know Bowie and Finn have stainless machines but have to be special ordered. Rebuilding a steel machine is between $3k and 5K depending on how bad it is abused. If you rinse out your machine at the end of the day, then rebuilding will need to be done every 5-6years or longer, it depends on daily use and how it is maintained. Before buying any machine, I would recommend you get Demo's from as many manufactuers as possible, also make sure the machine can handle wood mulch. Even if you use paper, there may be a job that you have to use wood and you don't want to limit your options.