Info. overload - could use advice

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by rott_dobe, Jun 15, 2004.

1. rott_dobe

rott_dobe LawnSite Member

I'm new here, but it looks like this is the perfect site to educate me!

I'm looking for a ZTR to do my personal residential property. I have 2 acres total so probably 1.5 of yard, and about 30 trees to mow around. I've begun looking at some of these ZTR's and now my head is spinning.

I have almost every kind of dealer really close, and they all seem extremely nice and helpful...but of course they all think their brand is the best.

What I'm looking at thus far are Exmark Lazer CT or HP, Huslter Fastrack or Mini Z, Ferris IS1000z and Great Dane Chariot. I know not all of those are in the same class, but that brings about a question. What do I need if I'm only doing my yard? I want something that will last a good 15-20 years and will help me finish the yard as quick as possible. Of course I also know I don't need a 30HP liquid cooled 72" deck....and I can't afford that anyway. I want something commercial quality, but not too much of overkill for my yard. Also, I have one fairly long hill that at least on my current tractor (1984 Bolens 16000) I have to lean to the side a little while driving along, so I want something stable on hills if that narrows the choice down.

Can you guys help me sort through the mountains of information I have and narrow the field down? I of course like the price of the Fastrack and Lazer CT, but are they going to last?

2. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If I were you I would seriously consider a Wright Stander. Don't look at anything smaller than a 48 if the hill you are speaking of is very steep. I love mine. One nice thing about the stander is that it doesn't take a huge amount of space in the garage. Don't fall into the i don't want to stand all that time because you will mow your yard in about 30 min and it will look so nice. One thing to think about though.......I have been to Rockford......Do you have a lot of oak trees that have to be picked up in the fall? That could be a bit a problem with a Stander. Good luck with your choice!!

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

There is only one person who can tell you which ZTR is for you. That is you. You need to demo a few. That is the only real way to know.

4. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

You might also check some of the threads in the Homeowner Assistance Forum (scroll down). Sounds like a JAZee might be a good option for you (www.countryclipper.com) And Fixer is right, don't decide without first trying it out on your yard. Good luck!

5. rott_dobe

Thanks for the replies! As far as the JAZee, the closest dealer is up in MN. I don't feel comfortable not having a good service shop close by in case of warranty issues.

Also, as far as oak trees, I only have two small ones that my wife and I just planted this year, so no real issues on leaves. I have a lot of evergreen trees though to trim around!

I do plan on demo-ing a few. The Exmark dealer who also is a Hustler dealer is very happy to let me demo, and so is the Great Dane and Gravely dealer. I haven't asked the dealers yet, but what do most people consider a "demo"? Is it a ten minute drive around the yard while the dealer is watching, or do they drop it off and leave, giving me a few hours to play with it on my own and allowing me to mow my entire yard?

Thanks again, and I will check out the homeowner's forum...sorry if this post should be located there.

6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I demoed 11 models before purchasing. Had a JD for a weekend. Longest demo was the JAZee for 2 weeks - - guess their sales are picking up and the dealer was too busy hauling sold units and had no extra trailer (finally had the distributor come and get it). In the meantime, two neighbors tried it and bought it.
    Pick out a few different sections, ahead of time (especially slopes, bumps and tight spots) just in case your time is limited. Good luck!

7. rott_dobe

What about Great Dane mowers. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad about the Chariots and Chariot LX's?

8. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

My 23 hp 60" Exmark Z is an awsome mower a super cut ,fast ,manuverable and well built it would probly last forever with a home owner with one lawn to cut... The only downside to my mower is its ability to handle a slope is not so good as the traction on the slopes is poor but manageable when you gain exprience operating it.... Good Luck....