Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfjunkey, Feb 27, 2002.

1. turfjunkey

turfjunkey LawnSite Member

Want some feed back on what to expect for my first year in the lawn care biz. So far i have sent out about 2000 door knob flyiers my add in the paper has been in their for about 3 weeks all this has nettedabout 10 accounts is this good and about how many accounts should i have by the end of my first year.
  2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I do door to door advertising, and mostly word of mouth. But my friend says he gets about 2-3% calls per 1000 on flyers. Out of that maybe 1/3 contract his services. So at most for 3% of 2000 = 60. 1/3 of 60 = 20. You are doing what you need to do. Send more out and get more in. Good luck!
  3. DMS

DMS LawnSite Member

In another month, let your work speak for itself. If you do a quality job, the word will travel fast and you will have as much as you can handle in no time. Good luck!

4. TheLawnBoy

TheLawnBoy LawnSite Member

For sure. When I first started I put out maybe 300 flyers in my neighbourhood. One person called, and it wasn't even for her, it was for her mother. But she happened to be the biggest mouth on the block. :D Anyway i got my foot in the door and haven't had to do any advertising since.
  5. You will be suprised at the shelf life of flyers, we get calls 4-6 months later. But even if you only get 10 per 2,000 that will tell you what you need to do to reach your goal. And the first ones are the toughest, once people see you working they are more likely to want you also.
    Good luck
  6. How about over 5 years later when their tractor quit and they didn't want to buy a new one.

I've gotten calls for Fall leaf removal off my Spring flyers.

As for the post:

There is no way to tell.

Keep getting your name out and do great work.
  7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

LGF is correct.
    Marketing rules state: That the consumer must see your business name 7 times before they will consider calling you. Truck, paper, small yellow page, flyers, site signs and bus stop benches have been good for us.

Good luck