Information needed 4000 Series

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ewalden, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ewalden

ewalden LawnSite Member

Hello All,

I'm new to the site, and new to the Excel Hustler Turf Equipment. I purchase an Excel Hustler 4000 Series (used) with 1826 hours mower. It ran great for the first four or five weeks. But, the last time I had it out it was acting funny. It started and ran, but every now a then it would bog down. I came to a stop and the engine would catch up. The grass was not too tall, or wet. When I stopped the mower to clean it off it would not restart. The engine will crank, but not fire. Listed below is the spec of the engine. I'm looking for any help I can get. The mower is now outside, and I would like to get it under cover for the winter. I'm looking for any ideas on what it might be. Like I said, it will crank, but no fire.

38 hp Kubota diesel engine,
    72-inch Quadcycler ™decks

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS 4600
    Horsepower 38
    No. of Cylinders 4
    Displacement 91.44 cu in
    Maximum Torque 68 ft lbs @ 2100 rpm

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed :waving:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ed,
    This could be one of many things.... the stalling or near stalling while mowing would make me check the air filter and fuel filters.
    As far as not restarting after it died.... it could be something as simple as a fuel pump cut off solenoid or as severe as a injection pump failure, or as simple as plugged filters or air in the system from a possible leaking line... a blown fuse maybe??
    There are so many variables it is very hard to do over the net.
    These are tough things to diagnose if your not there in person.
    I would call your dealer and have them take a look at it.
    Hope this helps
    Pj