This mower belongs to my 82 year old grandmother. I am trying to keep it going for a few more years. She mows 3 acres with it. The mower works fairly well if you don't mind your kidneys bleeding from the rough ride, but it seems to have a charging issue. The battery light comes on now after some good use, about an acre or two. I checked the battery after I charged it and before starting, got about 12.6v. When the battery light came on, it was 12.1v. I unplugged the rectifier from the battery and got 3.5-4v from the rectifier. I unplugged the stator from the rectifier and got 25v from the rectifier at about 3/4 throttle and 27.5v at full throttle. Now here is the question, what should I be getting from the rectifier and do I have to have it plugged in to read it? Normally you should get at least 14v and you don't want it plugged in, but I read elsewhere on this forum that some rectifiers require some input voltage, at least 4v, in order for them to "turn on". I also checked the battery twice while mowing and it never got above 12.6v. The connector between the rectifier and the battery is really loose, so I am going to replace that, but I think there may still be another problem. Here is all I know about the mower: Ingersoll model 3012 - bought new in 1992 Vanguard OHV engine by Briggs & Stratton @ 12.5HP model 290400 - the engine manual has a copyright date of 1990 New battery in 1997 and 2003 *restrorob, you seem to be the one with the electrical advice, any suggestions?