1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Ingersoll-Rand Thunder Gun

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EastTnLC, Jul 28, 2004.

?

Do you like the IR Thunder Gun?

1. Yes, I like it

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, I do not like it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

Anyone ever used the Ingersoll-Rand 1/2" Thunder Gun? If so how is it and does it have that true Nascar impact wrench sound?

46_1.jpg

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldn't care about the sound myself, turn up the pressure and they all sound like that, besides that the nascar ones run on compressed nitrogen. IR tools are made for heavy duty usage. it'll last

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The only internal difference is that the muffler in the exhaust is removed... kinda like a baffle.. Its a good gun buts its heavy! Too heavy! There are much lighter guns and way more quiet guns that will torque as much or more.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Like vipermanz say, Nascar crews run there guns on compressed nitrogen at up to 300 PSI and the guns are rebuilt after every race. They was a bit on Nascar crews and such on TV back a year or so age and that is how I know about that. Air tools are made to run at 90 PSI anything above that shortens the tool life so forget the sound.

5. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

Ok, All I wanted to know was how the overall impact was and a simple Yes or No on the Nascar impact sound would have been enough.

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

You asked a 3 part question.. therefore a simple yes or no seemed inappropriate. Sorry!

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

East, Get the IR titanium.. It kicks the "thunder gun's" rear, is quiet, and weigh's lots less... I have owned/or currently own just about every IR impact made.. The titanium is the best yet