inhaling leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I was sucking up some leaves today, the dust was everywhere. This had me thinking... is it harmful to inhale this dust?

2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

It can be if there is mold, etc. on them. I think you may have to have an allergy to it or inhale a large quantity though.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

just remember! leaves catch everything and if there's no rain for a while you can inhale allot of stuff.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I wear a respirator when I do leaves. If I dont I end up sick every year from the dust.

wayne

5. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought the North 7700 respirator this year, great product.

6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

If nothing else, go to your local drug or lumber/paint store and get some of those cheapo paper throw-away masks. They cover your mouth and nose area. They help even during those dry summer mows. They do make a differance.

7. robby

robby LawnSite Member

Dunno about the inhaling, but the leaf dust is hell on my contact lenses. My eyes feel shot after a day of mulching up dry leaves with all the dust blowing.

8. 1PRO

1PRO LawnSite Member

Not good to breath in dust from leaves..but what cha gonna do i get sinus infections when they get behind and i run the leaf vac truck talk about dust it fells like a light rain of mulched up leaves...lol

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'm going to go with the alien look maybe this year.

Respirator and goggles in one.

Who wants to die of brown lung or red eye?

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

the cheapo ones are the way to go its not a paint booth or removing asbestos but there is a lot of dust