Injured-Backup Crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys and gals. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later and it finally did...I'm injured and cannot work for a month.

I broke my shoulder yesterday in a downhill mountain bike race and the doc says I'm out for a month. My dad who is currently unemployed is going to take over for me until I'm healed up. I guess it pays to have a plan, but simetimes the unexpected happens leaving little choice. Has anyone else had an injury that left them crippled for more than a couple of weeks? We can share the pain, please post your stories so I have something to do for the next month. :cry: :D

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Broke my back working as a carpenter, out of work for over a year. Then was bitten by a dog while mowing, lost partial use of hand, out of work for a couple of months. Every so often the ole back will go out, and I'm out for a week or so. No fun, hope you heal well and soon. Take care.

~Nest

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Broke my arm several years ago to the point where I needed surgery. Pretty sure I broke it in early July or late June. I KNOW that I had the second surgery on Columbus day. (First one to put pins and wires in, second to take them out.)

4. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

My husband was in a car accident on Sept. 14, 2000. He was on duty as a firefighter, when he was hit head-on by a driver having a seizure. The other driver later died. It took his crew and the rest of the FD 45 minutes to cut him out of the car.
    He was off 8 1/2 months. Had broken his left femur (thigh bone) in 5 places, blew his left knee open, emergency brake was impaled in the shin of his left leg, broke his right shoulder, and shattered the bones in the right side of his face. He had 4 surgeries as a result of the accident. He currently has a rod in his left leg and 3 plates in his face.

Being the fighter he is, he made a complete recovery and is back at his full time job as a firefighter with no restrictions. On Sept. 15, 2001, he went to NY to work at Ground Zero. He was so moved about the way his brothers helped him after his accident that he knew he had to go to NY and help them dig. He went with some of the members of his crew. They spent 5 days and nights there digging. We all know that they found no survivors.

I can tell you that I don't take him for granted. I know that at any time he can be taken from me. And I thank God that he allowed my husband to be here to watch our boys grow up. Take your down time as a gift, spend it with your kids (if you have them), wife, parents, people you care about.

I hope you feel better soon. I'll do my best to post some entertaining threads for you.

Amanda

5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you heal fast! My hubby has had years and years and years of close calls. Apparently, someone up there is watching!:angel:

(Hey, I see you are in WA. I have lived there. It rains. Alot.)

6. Greenstar Services

Greenstar Services LawnSite Member

This past winter I had heart surgery.I'm just now getting back into the swing of things. Thank god for good doctors and good friends . Time will go buy fast for you, just don't let it get to you.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

broke my collar born while riding the four wheelers. I was out 4 months for that.

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Myself. I don't do anything that would cause injury.

Was in a car accident some 10 years ago. Out of work 6.5 months. Stayed out till the following spring. Had 2 - 5 man maintenance crews out at the time. And 4 man crew for extras and a couple part timers. Unfortunately, I was so hands with the biz that in the season of the accident and trying to get back in the following. And other stupidity that was of my own doing. In those 2 season lost half my business.

Customers called me in the hospital to cancel service. Now that's takes some "brass balls"

Anyway. I am far better off now that I had the opportunity to reorganize